Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What to do if my fiance and I don't agree on getting a dog?

I volunteer at the local animal shelter. While I love all the animals, I have done a great job of not getting too attached to any of them. That is, until a month and a half ago an old hound dog came to us. I instantly bonded with the dog and cried the first time I met him. He's an old dog who's been very visibly beaten down in life, but he's the most tender and affectionate dog I've ever met. He clings to me every week, and I look forward to going to the shelter just to see him. 

Next month, my fiance and I are moving to a new city (2+ hours away). My fiance doesn't want this dog. He says he's too old and too big. But I know what happens to old dogs in shelters, and I can't imagine leaving him behind. We've had countless discussions over this I've cried multiple times. It's so upsetting to me. My fiance agreed to meet the dog last Saturday. Things went really well, and I thought he'd change his mind, but he didn't. 

Is it time for me to get over it? Do I keep pushing? I just don't know what to do. I want to respect that this isn't what my fiance wants, but I don't know how I can possibly leave this dog behind. 

• Favorite Answer

If you want the dog, then get the dog.  But don't expect your fiance to be responsible for it at all.  You provide it with its food, its walk times, its entertainment, etc...  There can never be a time when you're too tired to take it for a walk, nor can there ever be a time when you don't have enough money to buy his food or pay his vet bills.  This has to be your dog, 100% of the time.

• Sadie1 month agoReport

You can leave the post if you feel that way. My fiance was aware of me making this post, and encouraged me to go through with it so that we might receive helpful insight/things to discuss from outsiders. Again, I have made no decision to get the dog. 

Dump the fiance. Problem solved.

It is good to find out now that he is not an animal lover. I understand both sides of this.

I, myself, have taken in large & extra large dogs, for over 50 yrs. Most all of them were well over their prime & I gave each & everyone their 'last forever home', buried in my backyard is 40 or so dogs plus other animals I have lost.

I would think twice about moving in with this dude. It is people that don't have pets that I wonder about.

do not purchase dog

Just save the dog. If your fiancé loves you he will eventually love the dog for the joy it will bring you.

• Pat Wooden
      1 month agoReport

He doesn't hate the dog, he hates that she won't potty train the dog.

Your fiance seems to be thinking realistically about the long term while you are thinking with your heart. Honestly though thinking with your heart sometimes isn't a bad thing and if your fiance really loved you and saw the effects the pain of leaving the dog behind is bringing you (crying multiple times) then he should understand your love and attachment and not be so black and white about the situation is given that you take 100% responsibility for the dog; don't see the problem. Hopefully, he sees how much this means to you and rather sees you with the dog than upset without it.

• Sadie1 month agoReport

What? The dog is house-broken I believe you're commenting on the wrong post

You seem to be thinking with your heart on the subject, while your fiance is thinking logically. He doesn't seem to be against the idea of a dog, but would prefer one younger and smaller.

Would you feel better if you knew the dog had a good home? I suggest you take a couple of adorable photos of the dog and post them on social media, along with a plea for help, giving the shelter's phone number. You could also put up a posters. There are a lot of dog lovers who would be willing to help.

• Sadie1 month agoReport

And yes, he prefers a younger and smaller dog. This was the case for me too until I bonded with this dog. 

Then become the dogs guardian and cover the dogs financial needs at the rescue.. That way it will not face early euthanasia. i also help at a herder rescue by performing their homechecks. And i`m also a guardian to an aged Border collie whos Shepherd died in his fields... i cant take him home either as my own sheepdogs refuse to accept him. So therefore i became his guardian owner and he remains a permanent herder rescue resident there.... He helps training up and coming herders there...

Source(s): Shepherd and herder rescue member
  • Jack H

Dump the boy friend...

• Linda

Take the dog and ditch your bf. 

• Mary B1 month agoReport

I agree with this because I have been through this with my husband, you will ever forget this dog, I know. He said yes because he wanted to make me happy but hated the dog. I finally had to take the dog back and I have never forgotten it. It's not as painful but think maybe I just should have walke