Which work to do, to get experience for psychology?

I'm 19 and I'm on my gap year. I want to become a counselling psychologist in the future. I want to gain valuable work experience during this year (as well as enjoying myself and exploring my hobbies). I know that in order to get into a graduate course I will have to work for a year in a related field after uni. I suspect that my work this year, will increase my chances of getting a good job after uni.

I feel like I have 2 options:

1)I work full time as a teaching assistant, at a special needs school that is 1h 30min away. During my travel I read fiction and non fiction books. When I get home I: eat, exercise and go to my Jiu Jitsu class, then go to sleep. The problem with this option is that it sounds exhausting. But at least school ends in July.

2) I work as a carer in an elderly care home, or work as a barista. I also volunteer at multiple places e.g. day care for disabled kids, library, hospice (preparing or serving food). I would be able to do those things in or close to my town. So, I would have more time (e.g for self study) and I could make friends. Im socially isolated at the moment.

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    look for local opportunities in social work areas as well. many of them are psychology in disguise. [example: addiction treatment is psychology]. between the two you mention, the special needs school will look better on future resume/vita ... unless the elder care opportunity is in memory care unit [adult onset dementia]

  • 1 month ago

    Consider adding a grammar class to your studies. (No offense if English is your second language.)

    • Adrian1 month agoReport

      No offense taken. I know I need to work on it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.