Abbeymeister asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

How to help my rabbit who just lost his sister rabbit?

I got two bunnies when they were around 8 weeks old. They were from the same litter. One of them passed away today. My other bunny doesn’t know life without the one who has passed away. I have heard it can be traumatizing for a bunny to lose another bunny they have been bonded with, and they have been separated for no more than maybe a few hours here and there for things like vet visits for their entire lives.  Online it says getting a new bunny to keep the first bunny company is a good way to help them cope. At the moment, I cannot afford to bring another rabbit into my home after the vet bills trying to keep the one who just passed away alive. Any suggestions on how to help my surviving bunny cope and go through as little stress as possible?

Favorite Answer

Give her time. It is actually recommended to wait a bit before attempting to bond her with another rabbit anyway. They first need time to realize the other rabbit is not coming back. 

In the meantime, read her body language. If she's in the mood for attention, give her attention. If she wants to be left alone, leave her alone. 

Once she's had a few months to get over it, then you can worry about deciding on whether or not to get another. 

Btw, what is her age? If she's still pre-hormonal, it's best to wait until after she is spayed to consider a bondmate. If she's older, then she should still just be allowed time. 

You may find that, after a few months, she is adjusting well enough to not need a bondmate. Many rabbits do just fine as single rabbits -- especially if housed indoors and given plenty of time-out-of-cage and attention. 

Source(s): https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/ (my website) feel free to browse around!
    • Abbeymeister
      1 month agoReport

He is 6 years old and is neutered. He’s not nearly as social as his sister (who is the one who passed away), so I’m trying to sit with him as much as I can but he doesn’t seem very interested in me, so I guess he needs space for now. Thank you for your helpful answer!

Time heals (somewhat).

Do as you would do for a human who had lost someone, spend extra time, cuddle, be kind and loving.  Give extra attention and treats.

Here’s the real issue for this bunny, which is different than the issue for you, this bunny has never been alone, when you aren’t there the companion bunny is.  Now when you aren’t there this bunny will be alone.

You may want to consider a rescue bunny to keep your bunny company.

I tend to get my animals in pairs so they can keep each other company and have had to deal with a number of cats and dogs grieving their passed companion.  I’m older and have had many pets through their entire natural lives.  It’s a change in the relationship and they will rely more on your for companionship and emotional contact.

Right now I have a rescue bird that ... fell into my life.  She likes my dogs but they go to work with me which she is not yet trained to do.  I try to keep her environment stimulating so when she’s alone she has interesting things to do.   She has lots of toys, tons of greens in her cage to tear up, a radio playing and her cage is in front of a window to the garden where I have things that attract birds and bees for her to watch.

You could try having lots of extra greens, toys and a radio playing low for the bunny.

you have to feed it sugar cookies and arugula

you must BECOME the bunny O_O

• Abbeymeister
      1 month agoReport

I just lost a pet. Maybe you’re too thick to understand human emotions but I’m going through a tough time right now. There was truly no need for you to be an *** just because you can.