Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Would this person have something to hide?

A coworker returned from a few days on leave. I asked him "so did you have a nice break? What did you get up to?" He replied "Thats not your business!" and walked off. Should I inform HR that he could have been doing something suspicious in this time? I don't think i wis rude, was I?

Favorite Answer

Hahaha.. inform HR he might be doing something suspicious? Because he thinks his private life is his own business? You'll get flagged as a trouble maker because that's what you'd be trying to do. Going out of your way to try to make trouble.

Sometimes people are rude. Sometimes they come off as rude. That's not illegal. As long as his personal life doesn't come into work and cause trouble.. his private life is entirely his private life. He doesn't owe you details of his life. Even if you weren't rude to ask.

i wouldnt say anything to hr since you dont have proof

Go ahead and report this to Human Resources.  They could use a laugh.

• Lita

Troll smarter not harder.

Oh for heaven's sake, people, come ON!!! Can't you SEE this is a troll?

• PAMELA

You were being nosy and they wanted their private life to remain just that, private, get over yourself.

• A C

Not likely.  It would have been better for you to say  "Welcome back.  Hope you had a nice break."  That leaves it open for him to tell you about it if he wants to.  He was probably just not in the mood for talking.  It's doubtful that he was doing anything "suspicious" and you would be out of line to say anything to HR.   

Some people do not wish to share their private lives with co-workers and ultimately, what your colleague did on their leave away from the workplace is respectfully, none of your business.

It was not rude of you to ask.  But if I got that reaction, I'd back off immediately and apologize.  That leaves the door open to talk about it later.  Who knows, maybe his wife or girlfriend just left him.

• dman63

He was certainly rude, but it’s nothing you need to report to HR.  He might have had a bad time and didn’t really feel like talking about it. Let it go.