Is it appropriate to strike a child (open handed) for using foul language, or teach them proper respect?

I overheard my 11 year old calling another child at the bus stop a 'c😙cksucker'...

I have no idea where he picked up this type of language but it certainly wont be tolerated in my house.  Besides we also have a 3 and a 5 year old to think about.

Violence begets violence. Instead of beating him over the first infraction, try telling him that name-calling is unacceptable and if it happens again there will be consequences (other than decking him).

I think you may have misheard him. I have heard crocsucker is a common phrase among kids these days who wear Crocs.

Where exactly are you talking about striking the child? Are you talking about swats on the butt? If you're talking about like slapping your kid in the face or something, that isn't acceptable, in my humble opinion, although I'm not a parent. 

Absolutely not. My mom did that to me and she paid for that. I always told myself that I would get revenge once I became an adult. I'm not going to go into details but she has had a very bruised and swollen face. Think before you act.

Yes

If they curse then you need to pop them right in the mouth. That's the best way to make them learn and by law its not abuse 

• Alison V
      4 weeks agoReport

They will figure out how to pop you right in the mouth once they get older.

Most kids learn this type of language at home, so if this is what you say, you're punishing the child from your own bad example. Really?

50 years ago, Yes.

Today, NO.  Now, the child has rights; physical violance is actually outlawed in some states. Child Abuse.

You are required to quietly, explain the situation to dissuade (logically) the child from further abusive comment.

This is common with troll parents.

Well hitting the kid certainly isnt going to help them or the other kids. 🙄

i wouldnt do that, i would just take away his priviledges