On a hot day, is it better to close the windows or keep them open?

i live upstairs so gets quite hot.

What about the window blinds? Drop them down or keep them open? They block sun quite well but are black so they absorb the heat.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

With no aircon, close then during the day when the sun is there (blinds down) and then open both up when it starts to cool off.

• 3 weeks ago

Well keeping the windows open in summers will keep the airflow that may save you from feeling excessively hot. But majorly the placement of the windows in a house is the majorly important

• James
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Ultimately it's up to you what you should do about that, though I imagine if your goal is to be less hot then you are it would be quite obvious that you should open a window.

• 4 weeks ago

open a window at the top,so heat vents up n out

get an AC to sit in the lower window,where there is no or little sun

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

black absorbs and blinds are made of metal so it radiates heat into the room. White blinds are better. Or a white bed sheet. It is cooler, but then that depends on the color of the house outside like the roof. Black absorbs heat , white does it less. You can't change the color of the tiles so that is what you are stuck with.  Ventilation should happen over night .  the lower windows are opened and upstairs in your room you fit a fan in the window with cardboard blocking the open spaces so the fan blows to the outside and you let that run all night long.  It will suck the cool from the shady side downstairs and blow it outside like a long tube.  In the morning the entire house is cool.  Shut all the windows and doors and keep the cool trapped inside for the entire day with all closed windows. and bedsheets to reflect the shining sun from shining in onto the inside dark areas.  Around about4 oclock is about the time you got shade on the north side of the house and you can start the fan again with the open window as the heat in the house is starting to rise .  A big box fan is perfect for windows because it is square so it is easy to block off the gaps beside or over the fan so the air does not enter the room right beside the fan but only from the north side window.

• 4 weeks ago

Keep it open unless you are running the air. 

• 4 weeks ago

During the day, keep windows covered. The blinds heat up but not everything in the room. Or, place cardboard panels covered with foil in the windows. When the temp outside is less than inside, open the windows and pull back the blinds.

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Replace the black with a light color and then close them. The open or closed depends on how cool it is outside verse what temp you were able to bring the house down to overnight. Most are not home enough during the day to watch the temps, know when to switch from closed to open, when the temp inside is equal to or greater then outside. Being home all day, i know that for us, that time to switch over is about the same time I start cooking dinner. Of course that depends on if the house cooled down or not at night, and that depends on whether my wife leaves the second floor deck sliders open or closed.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It really depends on the layout of your dwelling. My flat has two levels, the ground floor and a couple of bedrooms upstairs, and I can open a couple of french doors downstairs, which allows a breeze through, and opening the upstairs windows allows the incoming air to push the warmer air out. But that works for my specific setup, it may not do the same for yours.

• 1 month ago

It depends if the air conditioner is on is good to close all door.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.