Non-diabetic blood sugar drop?

I am not a diabetic, but I am a healthy 19 year old female. About 45 minutes after eating, I consistently get shakey, sweaty and dizzy. I have fainted before from these effects. It is happening more consistently, and I am randomly having these episodes, no longer just after meals. I can confirm it is hypoglycaemia as my diabetic grandmother has checked my sugars during these moments. My question is what can I do about this? Is there anything that could prevent these attacks? Also, my grandmother has mentioned that it probably would not be a bad idea to talk to my doctor about carrying a glucagon injection, just in case I should have a severe episode. What is your opinion on this?? 

4 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago

    You should see a doctor.

  • 4 weeks ago

    You have a wise grandmother, ma'am.  You SHOULD see your doctor as more testing than simple fingerstick blood glucose readings are required to determine which type of hypoglycaemia it is that you're suffering from.

    The most common type is called Reactive Hypoglycaemia, which occurs when your pancreas 'overproduces' insulin in response the amount of glucose (sugar) that you imbibe ... either eat or drink.

    With this type of hypoglycaemia, which normally would occur about 1.5 hours after eating, I'm afraid there's no 'magic pill' that would put things right.  You would need to break down your meals into smaller, but more frequent episodes ... usually 5 or 6 smaller meals per day that contains fewer carbohydrates, but also containing a higher proportion of fats and/or proteins.  (Fats and proteins slow down the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream, thereby no stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin at a rapid rate.)

    A much rarer type of hypoglycaemia is called fasting hypoglycaemia.  This type of hypoglycaemia is normally caused by an insulin-producing tumour being present.  This type of hypoglycaemia MAY require surgery to put right.

    Your doctor will, initially, ask you questions about your diet; when you're experiencing these hypoglycaemic attacks; the type of work that you do, etc. and will take it from there.  (You MAY be required to undergo testing, such as an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT); fasting blood glucose testing; insulin production testing, etc.)

  • 4 weeks ago

    Listen to your gran..... although there are some very experienced people here (re Diabetes) you'd do far better to see your GP and find out exactly what is causing these episodes.    Don't drive at the moment - at least not until you are diagnosed.

    ps   If this happens after eating, I'd suggest it's not a 'hypo' which is where the blood sugar goes low.

  • 4 weeks ago

    maybe you should go see your doctor and get it checked out

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.