What does Chicken taste like?

Don't say chicken or any other kind of meat... I'm a Vegetarian.

As for the aromatic flavor, Morning Star Chick'n Nuggets do a pretty okay job of simulating the flavor, and have the same springiness as burger king or McDonalds nuggets, especially if you actually fry them in a little vegetable oil like 3-2-1.  The morning star ones only simulate the fully processed chicken nuggets, the biggest difference is that they are more fibrous and a little drier than actual chicken.  As for actual texture, people are saying tofu, but that's not quite right, maybe some of the extra firm bean curd is getting close, but what really springs to mind if high-quality bamboo shoot.  Not the canned, grocery store bamboo shoot, but those lovely stumpy little cones packed under water at the Asian grocer.  The ones where they'll dip you out some, put 'em in a bag and sell them by weight.  Cook some of those to medium tender, and you're getting close(er) to boiled chicken.

To boil, add salt to the pot until it tastes brothy but not really salty, a smashed clove of garlic or two, some sliced yellow onion, ground black pepper, chopped celery, sliced carrots, now try this:  Get some extra firm bean curd, slice it into half inch sheets and then into 1 inch (2.54cm) blocks.  Lay them on paper toweling and press out the excess water between two cutting boards.  Next liberally salt the bean curd and sprinkle some, a little light soy sauce.  Give the bean curd several hours to absorb that.  Later apply a little blonde (lightly toasted) sesame oil.  Sesame oil, to me, has one of the meatiest flavors in the plant kingdom.  (often buttery flavor too)  (That might or might not work right in soup fashion.)  Chunk up some some of that conical bamboo and boil it in the pot with the others.  While you're at it, try adding like, cloud ear mushroom, and especially straw mushrooms!  Straw mushrooms' stems come very close to the stringy texture of chicken dark meat...  the flavor isn't waaay off either.  So portabella, eggplant, maybe even zucchini have all subbed for meat at one time or another.  If you're feeling adventurous, after you've pressed and salted&soysauced the bean curd but BEFORE you add the sesame (it can't stand much heat) pan fry the bean curd squares in a little plain oil until they start going brown around the edges (that really brings up the meaty taste) then when they cool a bit, then add a few drops of sesame oil (you don't want to overpower it just hint at it), maybe try adding those to your "Chikk-un" soup with just a little of the pan's oil too, maybe a teaspoon.  Fried up like that they're really good in spicy bean curd and eggplant.

• Jack4 weeks agoReport

thumbs down, What did you dislike about the answer?

Chicken tastes like if you ate heaven.

Why don't you actually try it and then you'll know ?

You won't die of disloyalty to the veggie cause.

If you don't eat meat ....then chicken is NOT like anything you personally eat 

tastes a bit salty, protein, tender and chewy, the same sensation as tasting gravy

Chicken tastes quite nice

Chicken is like heaven if it were a meal

I've been a meat-eater my whole life, but recently trying to go more vegetarian; this is difficult because I'm allergic to beans, nuts, and soy. The closest thing I've found to the typical processed chicken flavor and texture (think McDonald's nuggets or McChickens) is the vegetarian brand Quorn's "meatless patties" and nuggets. The patties especially, if it's cooked in the oven and not the microwave. I would totally believe it was chicken if you told me, and I like to think I have a pretty good palette and can distinguish most things like that. You can find them at most places like Publix and Whole Foods (at least here in Florida).

• Clive

It depends on how it was farmed.  Most chickens these days are raised by methods that fatten them up quickly so they are killed at a young age and don't taste of much.  Age develops flavour in meat.

Apart from that, nobody can really answer except to say "taste some".

So basically, have you heard of Jesus?

Because it tastes heavenly. 

• John1 month agoReport

Does Jesus taste of Chicken ?   

• KTJoe

You must vegan, FYI vegetarians can eat fish and poultry.

• Annie1 month agoReport

You dumb af. Vegetarians do not eat meat at all. Pescatarians are the ones who eat no other meat except fish.