Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

How to get vital records from a state I don't live in?

I'm currently applying for DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) as I have traced at least 3 lines in my family back to patriots (including a man who was a personal bodyguard of George Washington at Valley Forge!), but I need to get some vital records of grandparents and great-grandparents. Problem is the records would be in St. Louis, and I live in Connecticut. Can I order the records to be sent to me, or does it have to be done in person?

The biggest obstacle I'm running into is finding marriage records for my maternal grandparents. I don't know the exact year they were married, and I'm not even sure if they were married in St. Louis, or a neighboring county.

You can try the state attorney.

If you post the name, (maiden name for your grandmother)  birth date and birth place here, in a second post, someone with more experience and resources than you may be able to find their marriage record, or at least approximate it from the 1900 census "years married" question, the 1910 census "years married" question or the 1930 "age at first marriage" question. If your mother is still alive, still in her right mind and still speaking to you, she may know when and where they were married.

You write to the vital records office in the state you are interested in, but be aware of at least two things. Vital statistics were not kept in most state until after the revolutionary war and you will have to pay for any records you obtain. Your best option is

Family Search.Org. Also be aware that you cannot use undocumented DAR or SAR records or applications.

Revolution records are in the National Archive. The Military records in St., Louise that exist are modern records, about 1911 on.

You might be able to get a copy of the actual copy of the military records of the ancestor you are searching, but remember that the British captured Washington during the war of 1812.

• Jolene

Utilize your DAR representative. If it's already a proven line, or mostly proven, you may not have to get any records (or very few). Otherwise, call the town clerk for the towns you need to get records from. You can usually mail order copies.

• Maxi

https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/hg/vitalrecor...

Add: per your update...by checking census records which in the US are as late a 1940 you can view, you can see them single or married, check the childrens ages and also where they both were born...that gives you a time window of when they are likely to have married and also potentially they married in the womens parish, then look up to a couple of years prior to their first child being born in the same parish as their child was baptised, then in his parish...some people married elsewhere but those parishes/churches I would look at first......... the internet makes it very easy now to do general searches looking for a marriage record and where it is likely to be

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/St._Louis_Cit...

• Jolene
      1 month agoReport

The person has said they don't need vital records for CT, so that link would not be helpful.

i wouldnt think youd have to do it in person, i would just call them and ask them

RACIST, aren't you WOKE yet?

First go to the state's Website, If you don't get enough there, then write the State Secretary a letter.

https://www.dar.org/national-society/become-member...