Gabby asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

My rat is sleeping a lot.?

I recently purchased two male rats. One is about 6 weeks and the other 3 weeks. The younger one sleeps a lot. When I take him out he seems okay. He will crawl around for a minute and then curl up on my shoulder and sleep again. He is eating and drinking. He does breath fast, but I don’t know if that’s normal and I don’t hear any rasp in his breaths. His brother is super playful and obviously the dominate one, but when he tried to play with his little brother the little one protests. Should I be concerned, or is this lethargy common in young male rats? 

Favorite Answer

Ratties tend to be nocturnal, your day is their sleep time and may be a grouch waken when they want their sleep. They figure it out in time and adjust a bit.

I just let my rats sleep if they want, when they are awake, then it means play time.

• Nathan

You can not sell a rat at three weeks old, they only become weaned at 5 weeks so that store was lying to you. If you purchased them, they will be the same age, I estimate around 8-12 weeks old as that is when they are normally there.

Pet should get their pets from mills, meaning they are inbred in filthy conditions, then mailed to them. Most arrive sick; dying or injured. It is likely your rat is sick, so he needs to see a vet if there is any slightly unusual symptom (like breathing fast). Also, please do not wake them up - that causes stress and if you give them time they will start waking up earlier and earlier to free roam.

They should be housed in cages over the minimum requirement of 2 cubic feet each, the best way cages are the double critter nation; ferplast furret cage and Savic suite royal 95. I suggest zooplus for these.

Rats NEED to free roam, at least an hour a day, everyday. The start-up cost of a rat (who received the proper care and is not neglected) is around £/€/$300, but they need an additional £/€/$100 saved in vet fees as most require them during their lifetime, and refusing veterinary treatment is illegal as it causes unnecessary suffering.

i would ask a vet about it

• Mog

I think they’re nocturnal

• Dze

thats pretty young im sure its fine .. its not common at all for young rats to have medical problems ..