Has anyone ever used a hidden camera to observe mechanical repairs being done on his/her car?

Has anyone ever used a hidden camera to observe mechanical repairs being done on his/her car? If so, what were the results?

No.  Chances are you aren't going to be able to see much.

Your best bet is to ask around friends/family to find a mechanic that  is honest/reasonable so you don't have to go to that kind of lengths.

Never needed to. I was there from beginning to end...saw everything.

Besides, where are you going to mount a hidden camera?The mechanics know your car better than you know your hand. They will see the oddball item. Easy enough to throw a rag over the window to block its view...or open the hood...to block its view.

Cars break.  You broke it. Fact of life. They replace broken parts & it is out of there.  It is a JOB.  There are HUNDREDS OF CARS that need repair.  You ain't special.  Mechanic gets paid by the number of cars he does per week.(Piece work) No one car will put his kids through University.

One of the local TV stations put a hidden camera in a vehicle motor compartment and took it to Jiffy Lube to have some work done. The manager at Jiffy Lube wouldn't even speak with the reporter after seeing the video of their "mechanic" who likely was a high school dropout never did the transmission flush and just wiped off the area where the flushing machine gets hooked up to make it look worked on clean.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Aaron3 weeks agoReport

How about Chevrolet Service Centers that remove “fair condition” parts from your car and replace them with “poor condition” “spare parts”? Like brake pads when they put new tires on your car.

• don r

I saw that on youtube. They saw nearly nothing was done to the car that they were charged for.

• Coquihalla
      3 weeks agoReport

That is Company policy...not mechanic's policy. So you go after the BIG MONEY.

I did once. The mechanic now has my camera.

• bo

check youtube there is a few on the site

i havent but i would give them a chance before you do that

Where do you plan to hide the cameras and expect they will be ABLE to observe the mechanics?

Yes. White people might steal the cleaning supplies so they can smoke it

• Kyle

nope.  i've gone to trusted repair shops if i don't take my car just to my dealer.