when claiming the earned income tax credit for my son who is on disability can i use my retirement income as part of my yearly income?

Your retirement income is already part of your yearly income.

• Eva

Not for earned income credit purposes. Retirement income does not count as earned income. Read the instructions. There's a reason it's called EARNED income credit.

• NA
      4 weeks agoReport

Eva, go pull up IRS publication 596 (EIC rules) and search on retirement income.  If the poster retired early on disability, the disability income from the employer (not SSA) *is* counted as earned income until they reach retirement age.

You count EARNED income. Retirement plans don't count as earned.

Can you add in non taxable income to make your income higher and thus get more EIC? No, of course not.

You use it as part of your total income (or gross income or whatever it's called), but you cannot use it as part of your earned income.

• NA

Only under VERY specific circumstances. From IRS publication 596 (this *is* the EIC publication):

"Disability Benefits

If you retired on disability, taxable benefits you receive under your employer's disability retirement plan are considered earned income until you reach minimum retirement age. Minimum retirement age generally is the earliest age at which you could have received a pension or annuity if you weren’t disabled. You must report your taxable disability payments on line 1 of Form 1040 until you reach minimum retirement age."If you yourself are not disabled, then the answer is no.I find it sad that my answer--which is correct--has already gotten a down vote from people who never worked for the IRS nor know how to do research.

No.

The earned income tax credit is for "earned income".

Retirement income (social security, pension, etc) is not "earned" income. 

• NA
      4 weeks agoReport

There is, as always, an exception.