Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 4 weeks ago

Can he really sack me ?

I started working as a dental assistant 2 months ago at a private practice. Typically 2 of the other nurses have both been off on holiday last week and are also off next week. 

I came down with an awful head cold on Wednesday and struggled in the rest of the week and was told I’m not allowed time off as no one else is in to cover my work and the 2 girls on holiday work. 

I am still so poorly and even my manager told me on Friday I look dreadful and should really go home but I can’t and I’m needed so I stayed all day.

I literally can’t stop coughing and the patients look so annoyed when I’m coughing away in the surgery during their treatment, I was even told to leave the room a few times to sort myself out as I can cough and cough for 10 minutes at a time. I’ve hardly had time to rest and my mum is telling me not to go in tomorrow but I said I have to as I was told by my boss I’ve got to and if I don’t come in tomorrow not to bother coming back at all. I feel really worried but also so ill :/

• Tavy
    Favorite Answer

His fault for letting two staff off  at once, so if you are told to leave who will deal with the patients?

I would suggest going in, but acting so sick that all the patients leave because they are scared that they will get sick from being around you. Once the patients leave, there's no work for anyone to do, so everyone will get to go home early (except for whomever has to stay to call the patients with appointments later in the day to reschedule them for another day).

Just don't make it obvious that you're exaggerated. If they realize that you are faking or exaggerating to scare away the patients, then they will have a good reason to sack you.

• Frank

So find another job when you are well. You are IN THE HEALTHCARE FIELD. You should NOT be sick when working with the PUBLIC.

Yes.............

Yes........................................

• audrey

Get a surgical mask from work, buy some strong cough drops and force yourself to go in. There is nothing to stop him from terminating you.

• SCATTY c
      3 weeks agoReport

If she is in the UK, then you can NOT be sacked for being genuinely ill.. She is probably young and naive and they are trying to 'scare' her into coming in

• Linda

If you're that sick where you are coughing and you feel bad, then call in Monday but make sure you go to the doctor. You will need a doctor's note to prove you needed to stay home a day. Your boss may not like it but I do not think they will fire you for that reason. But try not to miss anymore days.

he can only sack you if you still have the ball