Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

How long does wall dust take to settle after sanding?

We've been preparing a room in the house for painting after stripping off old wallpaper, and yesterday I gave the walls a sand over to get rid of bumps, extra filler and old flaky paint. The dust got everywhere and even after 24 hours the room still smells dusty.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before the dust will settle so I can spend some time in the room? I have some mild respiratory issues and I don't want to cause myself problems.

It's been my experience that wall mud is heavier than regular dust. It takes only a couple of hours for it to settle to the floor. Once it has settled, you can then sweep it up, wipe the walls and then get to painting.  

As stated, with breathing issues, always sand, wipe or sweep with a mask. 

Obtain and wear a decent face mask.

Open a window and set a fan in the window facing outwards to suck floating dust towards the window.

Wipe down every surface (ceiling, walls, floor) with a damp cloth to remove settled dust.

• Tavy

Wipe the walls with a damp cloth and open a window.

• Lee

Depends on the ventilation. You’ll need to wipe down the walls of dust anyway with a damp cloth, so just get a face mask.