why don't buses wait until their designated arrival time?

why don't buses wait until their designated arrival time, if they are early. sometimes I see buses come 5-10 minutes early and they leave right away. What are some arguments for this?

Buses are schedule to arrive every 30 minutes to an hour for my stops. No way a bus 5-10 minutes early would be a 25 minute late bus. Also I'm just looking for ideas against them waiting, so I can argue them in my essay.

Favorite Answer

When I rode the bus, they did stop and wait when running ahead of schedule. But sometimes an "early" bus was just a late one ...and in that case, they kept moving.

I can't think of a good reason why a bus way ahead of scheduled would keep getting further ahead. It would throw off everything on that route and all of the connecting ones.

• As Mad As Birds
      4 weeks agoReport

The stop closest to my home had a bus come through every 15 minutes. Sometimes two would arrive together.

I see them wait at certain places(low traffic areas) and they will be parked until the time is right for them to go again. They can't do it Anywhere. Just certain bus stops. Otherwise they are a traffic hazard.

• zipper

The drive wants a little extra time at the end of the run. He is braking the rules here; report him to the company to put a stop to it.

• Jeremy

There are no arguments FOR it but many AGAINST it.  In the area of Britain where I live if a bus leaves a bus stop earlier than the timetable time they can be fired, if reported.  Sometimes a bus cannot help being late but there is never an excuse for leaving early, never, never, never.  Report any that you know of who do that, wherever you live.

I rode bus 5 years. Unless the stop your are at is on the schedule as a timed stop, they don't wait or burn off tine.

Say, Bus  Rte 7 gets to Golf Links/Harrison at 10:25,   schedule says 10:30. He  mustl wait that 5 minutes   then he can leave if no one Running to catch it.

One exception: Ex President Bush traveled on the bus once, the cleared traffic, bus was Very late, he blasted past the stop even though  I was waiting! Executive Privilege?.. 

Most buses delay leaving a bus stop until they are on the correct scheduled time. You have to ask your bus company why they don't.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Only if that stop  has a scheduled time in the schedule. Most don't,

• Nancy

Because there's another bus behind them that's driving the same route. If they wait there, then there's a good chance that next bus will catch up with them. Plus, you don't really know if that bus is early or if it's late. Maybe it's just really late and the next bus that is also really late is the one that's supposed to be there at that designated time.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Wrong. At a scheduled stop, bus Must wait if early. Most stops Aren't scheduled, they can blast thru rem even 15 minutes early,  unless someone waiting who hails it or a passenger pulls cord.

Where the hell do you live that buses come 10 minutes early?! I think there’s probably a bus ever 10 minutes. It’s not early.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

In my town,  some are every 30 minutes, at best. Some are every houir on weekends. And, my city has one  million people. Actually  a good system compared to a lot.  With summers up to 109, an air r conditioned bus system is essential.

• Linda

Buses can come up to 15 minutes early or late. Sometimes they underestimate when they will arrive and so it is always best to be at the stop at least 20 minutes early.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

If a Scheduled stop, and early; Must wait i  there until sch. time. Most strops aren't, they can blast past if no  one  hails  or no one pulls  cord. 

Have you ever heard of the bus schedule?

I suggest you research it.

• Anon4 weeks agoReport

Most bus stops aren't scheduled. That's his problem. If he gets to a sch.  stop and bus is early, it must wait until schedule  time. Not at a non sch. stop, he can leave even if 15 minutes early nd no one waiting or pulls cord.