Kayla asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How does tipping work in the US?

In Canada there's a tip option on the debit machine but when I went to a restaurant just across the border there wasn't one. Are you supposed to tip after you pay the bill? Can you only tip in cash? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In most places in the US you add the tip to the credit card. But there are some smaller businesses where you might have to tip separately with cash.

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

On your bill they will be a line to add a tip of paying by credit card. You can pay the bill and leave a cash tip on the table if you prefer or add the tip on to your bill and pay the whole thing by cash. 

If there is no mention of a tip. Just ask your waiter. I am paying by debit card, can I add the tip on to that. 

• 1 month ago

Some American restaurants remind credit or debit card patrons to add a tip. Some don't. If you want your tip added to the bill, ask how to do that. They'll be happy to help.

If we pay in cash, we usually leave a tip of 15% or a little more, rounded up, in cash on the table.  You can leave the tip off the bill, and still tip in cash on the table, if that's what you'd rather do.  Either way is okay.

• JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Here in Canada businesses always have the latest machines.  I think it is because there is fewer banks so fewer complications and systems.  So they tend to be tap and pin compatible.  

In the USA the old style machine you get a print out, there is a line to add tip, and you sign.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Generally, if you pay with cash it is expected you will leave some bills on the table or give them to the waiting staff at the end of the meal. You can also include your tip when paying by card. Ultimately, when in doubt, as the Manager of the dining establishment for clarification.

• 1 month ago

When they give you the bill at American restaurants, there's a line where you write the tip if you pay by card. If you pay with cash, it's customary to leave the cash on the table or bar where you were served

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

depends on the place, i would just ask them if you want to know

• Jon
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Normally there is an option to add a tip. Maybe it wasn't where you were used to seeing it.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

americans get tips because of the very low pay rate from the employers

• Robert
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

That varies on the state, not all states allow tipped employees to be paid less than the state minimum wage for everyone.

• 1 month ago

One can pay the tip when they pay their bill.   And it can be added to the total if one is paying by credit or debit card. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.