Guy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is there any difference between American accent and Australian accent?

The Australian accent is a non-rhetoric accent and is similar to South African and New Zealand English.

American accents  are rhotic, whereas Australian is not.

Yes, quite a bit.

I am American.

I speak English with a "midwestern" accent.

I have spoken with Canadians, Britons and Australians.  And New Zealanders.

I could barely understand some of the Australians, due to their accent, plus they have "other" words for many things, that Americans, Canadians and Britons do not use.

Yes, there is a difference between the generic American 'accent' and the generic Australian 'accent'.

This has NOTHING to do with individual accents WITHIN either America or Australia.

• Lôn

An American accent sounds very much like a Canadian accent.

An Australian accent sounds very much like a New Zealand accent.

There are four major American accents and many minor ones. All are very different from Australian accents. Regional Australian accents are developing, the most obvious being the Adelaide accent which identifies South Australians. There is a divide between public and private school accents which you hear in the cities. Parts of Queensland, Melbourne and Perth are developing accents different from the Sydney accent. In a hundred years, you will be able to identify the city where  Australians went to school quite clearly.

The New Zealand accent is different again and easily picked by Australians although Americans have difficulty hearing it.  Neither the Australian nor the New Zealand accents are anything like the more than a hundred different British accents.

• Pontus

1.  There are several main American accents, and sub-accents within them.  All of them are unique from the Australian accent(s?).  I would be surprised if there is only one Australian accent. 

2. The Australian accent has had less time to change from the various British accents. 

3. It is untrue that American accents diverged from British ones.  The USA & Canada were settled before the British empire, and the accents of England & the rest of the British isles were not the ones we have today.  Both the American & British sets of accents have evolved from that time. 

4. Canadian accents are close but not identical to General American.  But there are American accents that are quite distinct from General American (no one really speaks a true General American - it's just a term that fits what most people use on TV, news, movies, etc). My Canadian cousins in Northern Ontario do not sound like any of us in Michigan.  There are minor differences between the Detroit area (in Michigan) where I now live and Northern Michigan where I was raised.  Some people can tell I am not originally from the Detroit area (but most can't).

There is no American accent. You might hear 3 or 4 different accents in America.

Yes.

Australia and New Zealand still sound British. American accent has had time to mutate or die down from the British. Canadians too. Canadians sound like Americans.

Yes there is a difference.