Leslie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 weeks ago

Is there any way to make hay more enticing to my dwarf bunny?

My male bunny does not seem to like hay.  I buy the good stuff, Timothy, and it smells really fresh.  He will nibble at it, but never much at a time.  He nibbles it in his litter box, but not near the amount that is written that he "should" be eating.  He has a great appetite for fresh greens and his pellets. He has shown some interest in the compressed hay blocks (not the hard squared off ones though).  Can I spray them with apple cider maybe and dry them in my convection oven on dehydrate?  Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

There is no problem as long as he is eating rabbit pellets. You cannot force an animal to eat.

Source(s): Grew up on a farm, We raised rabbits commercial for food

It is absolutely critical that your rabbit eat real hay. Not compressed, not just pellets. He needs the long strands to move through his gut and keep his gut healthy and moving. Pellets should only make up a mere 3% of his diet. 

If your rabbit is over 6 months of age, his pellets should be limited. Rabbits that are fed too many pellets will often reject their hay because the pellets are like candy to them. An average rabbit (5-7 lbs) should get no more than 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) per day -- no more. Otherwise they will fill up on pellets and skip their hay.

Here is more on feeding...

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html 

Try a different kind of hay. Any grass hay will work. Bluegrass, brome, orchard etc. 

Pellets are not a substitute for hay.