Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTeen & Preteen · 4 weeks ago

How many weeks pregnant can you fly?

I think I might be pregnant. I got my last period on October 15th but I’ve been having a lot of symptoms lately and will be taking a test on Thursday if I don’t get my period. I’m only 16 and I am so scared. My mums booked a holiday with all my family and my boyfriend for the end of June and I’m nearly 100% I couldn’t go if I am pregnant. It’s to Egypt which is a 5 hour flight from the UK. I wouldn’t be able to fly that long being that far along in pregnant could I? Sorry for being so stupid about this

• GB

If you find you are pregnant, you need to tell your mum.  If you are going yo Egypt, she might have to pay more for medical insurance to make sure you are covered in case of prem birth etc. Or it's better to know earlier to cancel  your flight and perhaps hers.

did you ever think to call your doctor to discuss this? If not, WHY NOT? duh

no it won't hurt the baby, take some. Dramadine that will keep you from getting air sick,,,

I dont really know. I just feel like answering questions today. No babies.

The second trimester (months 4-6) is the best time to fly. (In the first trimester, the problem is that flying with morning sickness will make you vomit). If you're pregnant now, then you'll be in your 7th month than and that's a really bad time to fly. Here's why: Although pregnancy normally lasts 9 months, sometimes a woman gives birth unexpectedly in the 7th or 8th month. If she's at home, work, or school when she realizes she's going to give birth early, they can get her to a hospital that has the equipment needed to save the baby. However, if she gives birth on an airplane during the 7th month, the baby will probably die, because airplanes don't carry the equipment needed to save premature babies. (There are babies born on airplanes that survive, but these are usually babies born close to the 9th month, which are more developed and can survive longer before they get medical care.)

• Judy

probably now. But you have much bigger issues to worry about than a vacation flight.

ABORT IT you irresponsible deadbeat.

There isn't a LEGAL answer. Most airlines won't accept passengers likely to need medical attention. Based on the dates listed, you would be in your last few weeks of pregnancy, or have just given birth when the trip is scheduled. It is likely any airline would require a doctor to certify you are cleared to fly, or not allow you to fly that close to birth.

From 28 - 36 weeks you would need a letter from your doctor to say that you are fit to fly.  After 36 weeks, you won't be allowed to fly.

Typically, you can fly up to 36 weeks, you'll be pushing it if you are.