What kind of crystal is this?

Attachment image

4 Answers

  • abdul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    That is a geode, also known as a "thunder egg". That one looks like it has mostly quartz in it.

  • 1 month ago

    It is a geode with some variant of quartz (agate, chalcedony, which are basically extremely fine grained quartz) as the main infill.  The final stage, the bubbly looking stuff, is probably what is called "druzy" quartz.  Druzy simply means that sort of feature or texture.  Quartz is likely what the mineral is, chemically. 

    It is a nice little sample.  More color in the bands would be even better, is about the only bad thing I could say (and it isn't a bad thing, I just prefer more evident banding in the agate).  Some people like druzy quartz, and others like when there are really large quartz crystals in the center.  They both have their own particular beauty.

  • 1 month ago

    Probably calcite. Look up 'calcite geode' to check against other pictures..

  • 1 month ago

    Ask this in geology, and you should get answers pretty quick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.