Is it too late to plant my tulips?

I ordered them and they were delivered a couple weeks ago, but it’s either been rainy or I’ve been working late, and I haven’t been able to plant them. So they have been in my refrigerator since I got them. Now, it’s quite cold so I’m not sure if it’s OK to go ahead and plant them now.

I live near Flint Michigan.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Ben
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

As long as the ground isn't frozen you can go ahead and plant them. 

You can plant them up until about February if need be (again, as long as the ground isn't frozen), although planting them later will mean they flower later that year, and the flowers usually don't last quite as long as a result.

• 3 weeks ago

Ever wonder why you plant bulbs in the fall and they don’t bloom until spring? The reason is because the bulbs are actually dormant when you buy them, and the cold winter temperatures break their dormancy. Whether you live in Columbus, Ohio, or another part of the U.S.here is some info to help make fall planting a success.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Find out what planting Zone you are in (I'm pretty sure that the Midwest area is Zone 5) and plant then as soon as you can.  (When you order them from a nursery, they normally will ship them out to you when they know planting is at the right time.....usually you should plant them within a week of receiving them) Didn't they send you any planting instructions when you received the bulbs?  Good Luck!

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The weather is cold your refrigerator is cold, so why not, just put dirt over the bulbs after they are planted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

http://www.michigangardener.com/when-to-plant-bulb...

Many sites that will help you with plants in your area and for planting bulbs 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I planted mine in February in the

UK last year. They came up lovely.

• Gert
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I distinctly remember planting tulip bulbs on Christmas. They did fine.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just go ahead and plant em lol

• 1 month ago

IF the ground is not frozen you should be okay, tulips LOVE the cold, so should do quite well.  They will not start to sprout til spring anyways so really do think you will be okay.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

nah id wait until theres several feet of snow lol ...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.