Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 1 month ago

Suggest Marvel comics for someone new to them which are (just a little) realistic?

They're very hard to get into, and in a lot of them, they have some random stuff happen halfway through that completely kills your suspension of disbelief. I remember I read some Marvel comics a few years ago which I think were called Ghost Rider. I remember I really liked them, until the main character(Robbie?)'s brother turned into some kind of weird, giant toy robot thing. What the hell, Marvel. Why do you do this to me.

Grab the TPB MARVELS by Kurt Busiek and illustrated by Alex Ross.  One of the best Marvel miniseries ever, touches on some of the most impactful events in early Marvel lore, but from the perspective of a regular person.  

Overall though, I would say the thing to do with comics is to find WRITERS you like, and then follow them rather than follow characters.  The quality of the same comic book will vary WILDLY based on who is writing it.  And be prepared for the fact that even good writers will write bad stories sometimes...or will be goofy in an attempt to have some fun sometimes.

A lot of them might have odd stuff like that happening.  By "just a little realistic" I assume you mean a little more grounded and naturalistic and not adventures of people flying around space or going to different dimensions or something.  I might recommend the new Daredevil series.  It's largely self contained, or at least self explanatory. 

Bob Hope by Bill Clinton

It would have to catch my eye. Otherwise not a fan.

Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

Alias: Jessica Jones by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos

Punisher MAX by Garth Ennis

Hawkeye 2012 by Matt Fraction and David Aja