Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

Is it correct to say "How many pictures does she have"or "has"?

I keep confusing the two, and i always have trouble figuring out which is the correct one.

Another example is "She has a lot of pictures" or "She HAVE a lot of pictures"? Which one is it? Is it How many pictures does she "have"or "has"?

Can someone explain to me when is it "has" and when it's "have", but please keep it simple. I don't understand these complex explanations - when its past progressive use present perfect tense etc. i don't understand these explanations, just tell me a simple explanation with few examples that i can understand.

Thanks.

I think you're trolling, but just in case you're not, all you have to know is that the verb 'have' goes 'I have, you have, we have, they have' BUT 'he has, she has, it has'.This follows the general rule of English verbs that the 'he/she/it' forms end in -s but the others don't.

But in questions and negatives 'have' remains the same while 'do/does' takes the strain:"SHE HAS a lot of pictures. How many pictures DOES SHE HAVE? I don't know how many pictures SHE HAS but she DOESN'T HAVE more than 200".

Have with plural and has with singular most of the times

In a simple statement, you modify the verb ending to suit the number of the subject (not the objects). There is only one of her, so it is always She has ...  She has one photograph, she has many photos.  In more complex constructions involving 'does' the word have/has becomes an auxialliary and that can only be in the form of have. Does she take sugar, She does take sugar.

• Zirp

sorry if this is "too technical"

What you need to understand is that a clause can only have one finite form. If the finite form is for the third person singular, in English it will end in S

• RP

If you're referring to how many are in her possession, then you might state, She has (amount) pictures, but with the inclusion of "does", the verb form changes to have. For example, She has X pictures, but She does have X pictures.

has if the only verb (singular simple present tense), but does have if using the auxiliary verb do/does with the blind infinitive to make an assertion (The does part takes on the same number as the subject when do is used to declare an assertion in simple present tense).  Do you work?  I do work, very hard, actually.  He does not work at all, though, the lazy bugger.

She has a lot of pictures.

She does have a lot of pictures.

How many pictures does she have?

The correct verb in this sentence is "have". Simply realize that if you CORRECTLY turn the words around, the verb is "does have."

It's just a quirky idiom that English speakers use - and every educated person I know would say: "How many pictures does she have?"

how many pictures does she have and she has a lot of pictures,

here's something i took from google: EXPLANATION of WORDS: Have is the root VERB and is generally used alongside the PRONOUNS I / You / We / Ye and They and PLURAL NOUNS. Generally, have is a PRESENT TENSE word. Has is used alongside the PRONOUNS He / She / It and Who and SINGULAR NOUNS.