How to decorate a small room?

My bedroom is small. Like smaller than a bathroom small. 

Do you know the size of walk-in closets? That small.

Currently, I only have a single bed and a tiny bedside table, two shelves and i hardly have room to walk around.

Is there any way I could make my room more aesthetically pleasing?

Favorite Answer

White makes things appear larger so you could paint the walls or lighten the decor . Perhaps put some tall mirrors on one wall. 

• Kitty82
      4 weeks agoReport

Bright white is very harsh and unforgiving. You'd be best to go for a cool toned off-white or pale pastel. The classic magnolia is warm toned to give a cosier more homely feel, but for such a small room a cool tone, being recessive, will give a lighter, airier feel and make it look bigger.

A floor lamp plays an important role in a room if the room is small...The room atmosphere would brighten up.

Get avail a floor lamp from The Gaggler

Draw the eye up. Hang long but narrow artwork - I have a 12" x 36" poster that I bought specifically for a small slice of wall. Find smaller mirrors in interesting shapes/frames to hang around the top of the room almost like a border. If you have an overhead light fixture, swap it out for one of those tiny crystal chandeliers. That will bounce light off the mirrors and make it seem bigger. You could not only hang more shelves, but also hang some pretty hooks on the walls from which you can hang scarves and glittery jewelry as art, but also mirrors or pictures by stapling  heavyweight ribbon to the frames or attaching picture wire close to the top of the frames. Oh, and try to stick to bedding in 1-2 colors max, not bright, wild patterns that will instantly make the room look smaller than it already is. Maybe a small throw rug or two that complements the bedding, or one or two small throw pillows on bed to pop in an unexpected small blast of color, maybe something to add a little texture, like chenille or microfiber faux suede. And light, airy curtains. If the ones I have weren't so old, I'd send you straight to Penney's for a pair. They're crinkly, shimmery, made from a shiny white fabric that also bounces around light. But even a pair of pale pastel sheers or lacy curtains would work. Don't forget about the space under the bed to store things in boxes made specially to fit beneath a bed. If you don't want people to see that, you can always add a dust ruffle to the bed to conceal it from view. Honestly, I wouldn't lunge for the white paint, either. I had my bedroom a nice shade of light grey, years before grey became so popular, with those shimmery white curtains and (since it was a pretty large room) I made the bed itself pop with red and white bedding. O, what kind of headboard do you have? Upholstered and wood ones weigh the bed down. You could get a scrolly metal Victorian-type headboard in white, which would pop subtly against pale pastel walls. Happy decorating!

• Cammie

Keep your room almost all white with maybe a large green plant.You can also use taupe or very light any color.

I would consider a murphy bed, one that folds up against the wall.  Or perhaps a couch/futon, which would turn your bed into a couch when the bed is not needed.  

• Lan Khanh1 month agoReport

Thanks for your advice! Would definitely look into that .

Keep it clean and clear - mirrors can enhance the space, as can light paint colors.

Close your eyes.

Yes I am sure of it, do it.

light colours

mirrors

blinds rather than curtains

If your ceiling is high, then consider raising the bed to create storage space underneath.  Building a raised frame is pretty simple so long as you are the least bit handy.  The higher you can comfortably go, the better, as you might be able to put a couple chairs underneath, or a desk.