I work at maccas and I need to resign kind of suddenly. Would I be allowed to walk in, hand in my uniform and leave it at that?

Or do I need to give notice and a letter?

My employer requires notice to be made in writing in order to be considered having given notice.  If I were to just hand in my uniform, it would be considered walking off the job.  

if you need to resign (drafted, dying parent,,,), "giving notice" does not make sense, but a letter would be good. Be careful what you say because the letter will go in your file.

You can walk in, hand in your stuff and say "I quit".  Don't ever think of using them as a reference unless you need a bad one.

You don't need to give them a letter but you should give notice - two weeks. If they decide that they don't want you to work for those two weeks, then you can leave earlier.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.