Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If your niece flew on a plane for 6,000 miles and turned up at the airport uninvited and unannounced, do you pick her up? ?

• PAMELA

If i was nice yes, if i was nasty i would say take a cab.

• Lita

No, you let her find her own way.

You sound suspiciously like the niece who showed up unannounced while you were living in Germany.  So today you're posing as the aunt.  How refreshing.

• bluebellbkk
      1 month agoReport

That crossed my mind too. Hence the inclusion in my answer about expecting to be looked after for free.

I would go and pick her up, but I would expect some pretty good answers as to WHY she did this, and what she expects me to do now that I HAVE picked her up.

I would not be impressed or pleased if she said, 'Oh but auntie, I just assumed I could stay with you for free and you would drive me around and take me places until I felt like going home again'.

By the way, this is not an Etiquette question. Why don't you move it to 'Family'?

yes, she payed a lot of money to see you,wish my nieces would do that,they wont even email me or facebook me, or call, youre lucky

I would--unless she is a known drug user who just got out of jail for murdering someone.....

Of course. Least I could do. I'd ask why, of course, but would work with her to see why she took this drastic action and how I could help.

• reme_1

It would be nice to pick her up and offer her a place to stay if you are emotionally close and have the room. I don't "DO" drop in company. I would never drop in on anyone- no matter what.

• drip

If one of my nieces did that, yes I would pick them up at the airport.

6000 miles?.

• In

If she can plan that trip by herself she can plan her taxi ride to her hotel.