Car insurance company disputed part of the damage claim saying they are not related to the accident?

Was rear ended and other party admitted 100% fault. Due to hard impact body shop replaced or installed airbags and front seat headrest as well as rear bumper cover as there was a severe cracked. After the accident the airbag light, seat belt and check engine light showed on my dashboard. When I tried to drive my car right after the accident it shaked really bad and it was not accelerating, even my speed is going down that I felt it was not safe to drive anymore. 

After the incident, my insurance company towed my car and sent to body and mechanical shop. One month passed I got my car and still search engine light was still on, still shaked and could not accelerate. The repair shop said that it was not accident related as my BMW was already 10 years old. They said it was cause by spark plugs. We sent the car home and replaced the spark plugs but same issue. Can we dispute it that the accident caused deep issue with my engine?

• Ana

The sad reality is, it’s probably partly both. It’s partly by the accident and it’s partly because your car is super old.

There’s not much you can do to make them pay for it, short of hiring a lawyer which would cost even more than the repair bills would be. 

Try another repair place. 

You can dispute it all you want but the insurance company won't move on it.

The repair shop has said the engine problem is not accident related.

You were rear ended...and it doesnt even sound like it was too serious, there shouldnt be any issues with your engine.  How many miles on this vehicle?  

10 yo vehicle is probably more trouble than its worth...probably close to totalling with the airbags and bumper alone.  

They're right -- it's not caused by this accident. Being rear ended wouldn't cause the problems that you describe. If it is from an accident (which I doubt), it's from another one. More likely, there was already something wrong with the engine, but the accident was when it finally became noticeable. Or the body shop damaged your engine somehow.

A rear-end accident wouldn't cause "deep issues" with a good engine and yet no visible damage except a "cracked" bumper cover.

• Shay

Here is the problem.  PROOF.  You need to be able to PROVE that your vehicle had no other mechanical issues BEFORE the accident happened in order to prove that the impact caused internal motor issues.  If you have a mechanic that did regular work on the car and is willing to make a written claim that the car was in great working order before the accident - then you might have the ability to go to court to fight the insurance on this one.  You will need a lawyer if you are going to try to fight this.

Anything else and it just looks like you are trying to use this accident to pay for a pre-existing motor issue.

I had a similar situation after an accident.  It is extremely hard to win on these kinds of situations against the insurance companies.  My car developed a water leak after an accident - but there was "evidence of past leaking" - so the body shop refused to include it as part of the accident.  I tried to explain that the "past leak" had been fixed - but the leak was fixed over a year previously - so no immediate proof.  I had to pay to fix that part of the issue myself.

So - yes - you can always continue to fight the insurance company - are  you likely to win - probably not.  Find a lawyer who will help but only requires payment if you actually win.  (and make sure what you win will cover fixing the car and paying the lawyer)

hey i know what you mean

• Frank

If you vehicle was operating fine BEFORE the collision.....and it is STILL not drivable...then OBVIOUSLY there is more damage. It they don't like this...they always have the OPTION of TOTALLING the CAR.