Please Help , why am I finding it so hard to find petrol engines above 1.6 in the UK?

I am so ANGRY, all used car dealers have this mentally ill obsession with little petrol engines, it angers me so much. Small petrol engines are NOT economical because you have to use more revs ! .

What doesn't help is I'm on a budget between 5-6 grand.

Thanks

• don r

I suggest counseling.

You are also a mechanical engineer? Otherwise your theory is all wrong. The difference between 1.5 and 1.6 is small but it adds up. Smaller volume uses less fuel. Always has, always will.  You do not always use more revs.

.  Maybe you should walk.  That saves 6 grand. Savings are immediate.

you dont know much about motors ...you should not be looking at cubic capacity ..the most important figure is torque ....a car with a torquey engine will pull like a train ...my car has only 158 bhp ...but nearly 400lbs of torque ... ...a lot of 3 cylinder engines under a litre can have 120bhp ..or more ..do your research

Blame your island parliament, they pompously forbid oversea gasoline car manufactures from selling on their shores via absurd tariff rates and drive on the wrong side of the road. The dealers there will want you to purchase a smoggy diesel, strange because diesel fumes contribute to smog. Maybe you should ask your parliament why they are so tied to diesel cars when diesel engines produce more smog. In Europe, they are killing you on petroleum tax, it comes down to how much luxury tax you are willing to pay for auto fuel.

• Neil
      4 weeks agoReport

The tariffs are not absurd. 10% on vehicles from countries with no FTA. Many manufacturers import vehicles to the UK with these tariffs and make a profit on it - Hyundai, Kia, Ssangyong from Korea, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus from Japan, Mercedes and BMW from the USA,  MG from China.

• Pete L

The majority of new cars sold have small petrol engines therefore the majorityof used cars will also have small engines. Control your anger, settle down and put up with the situation.

Richard Hammond, and Jeremy Clarkson have been asking this questions for years.. James May is cool with it though. 

I suspect fuel prices and the demand for larger engines which are more fuel hungry has a lot to do with it.  Government taxes over a certain size could also be a factor.

just look on www.autotrader.co.uk. There are 1000's