Leslie asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 weeks ago

Is neutering essential?  ?

My bunny is affectionate, was immediately litter trained as soon as we brought him home (he was maybe 7-9 weeks old).  He also loves company and will let you pet him a lot.  He is excellent with children (aged 3 to 7) does not thump, hiss or mark territory.  He has the run of the house, except at night when he stays in his waffle block tunnel/house system in the kitchen.  Comes running for "new food" and "treat".  So is neutering essential? 

• Nathan
    Favorite Answer

It is not essential unless you want to bond him with a female rabbit/he can smell or has access to a female rabbit. If you notice hormone related behaviours then I suggest doing it

• Leslie4 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much.  The only hormone behavior I have noticed is he circles around my husbands feet.

It will dramatically reduce the risk of reproductive cancers. I have both my girls spayed and the piece of mind is well worth it. You can talk to your local rabbit savy vet (check the house rabbit society website to find one). But ultimately you sound like a great bunny owner and I'm so glad to see someone on here caring for a rabbit correctly!

• audrey

IDK about that, sorry. But I just had to say I did not know rabbits could be that smart!

........................

• Cas

No, it is not. Especially if there is no chance of pregnancy. Just let him live his natural life. On my dog, I actually got a vasectomy because a girl dog moved in. This way he has all of his parts and doesn't have to suffer.

• Nathan
      4 weeks agoReport

Your dog would not suffer by being neutered...It's a 10 minute surgery that causes slight discomfort but everything else is fine. If it caused suffering it would be illegal

i would talk to your vet about it