How difficult would it be to replace bike brakes?

I have a Harro. It was a gift to me from my father a few years ago.

I havent used it this year at all due to the brakes, one of them is stuck and will not press down.

Thats a bit of an issue for me, because that is the hand/side I brake on, and the other side is a bit stiff.

I dont know much but I am a fast learner.

Whats the difficulty level for replacing the brakes on my Harro?

Does anyone know if I need to buy Harro specific brakes, or can I just order brakes and replace them that way?

I have a lot to learn

Reason I dislike the right side over the left, is I bike my dog, and until I buy extra pieces for her on the bike, I use my right hand for control

• don r

Likely the brake cables are rusted solid inside. Replace those.

• Fred

Should be an issue of freeing up gummed up moving parts with some WD-40 spray on solvent and lube?

If not that; the cables are rusted up in the flex lines and can be freed up with WD-40 or replaced?

At worst you may have to cut a brake cable to size after fitting it up to center pull (?) brake cable?

It should not involve much money? But perhaps a trip or two to a bicycle shop for parts and perhaps advice? 

You may have to be very careful to exactly match the brake cable ends so they fit into your brake hand lever, there used to be only one standard brake end.. but you may have an 'odd duck'?