If I submit a tv show pitch idea to a production company in Los Angeles ,do I have go there and pursue the project or can it be done in NYC ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

• 3 weeks ago

Don't do it! Nobody gives a damn about any TV shows anymore! Everything on TV sucks.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Sorry, but no-one is ever interested in 'ideas' unless you're already very well known in the movie or TV businesses.

Hundreds of thousands of people have what they believe are great ideas - most of them have either already been thought of, or are not 'great' at all.

• 4 weeks ago

no you do not have to do it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Once again, it doesn't work that way, so your question makes little sense. It's FAR from that simple. No production company accepts IDEAS unless you're already a highly-established professional, with successful shows/movies under your belt, or you've had a major success in another field, for example you've written a best-selling book and your agent has connections... But ideas are by far the easiest part, literally every other person around you has them. They have no value. So no one is interested in buying them either. It's like trying to sell air.

You need a fully-written and professional spec pilot, at the very least. I'm saying at the very least because that's easier said than done. Because you don't just scrabble a script and you're ready to go. It takes many years of very hard work, several scripts write, dozens to hundreds to read, and plenty of feedback to get JUST to reach a professional level. To master not only the craft but also the business side. The vast majority never will, even after 20 years. This is a tough craft. And then you need to get a manager, which will probably take a few more years if it happens at all. 

Like I've explained in your other question, serious places do not accept unsolicited submissions, so you need a rep or a connection. Reps filter through and make sure no amateur wastes anybody's time. IF you land one, chances are you will then need to get some experience under your belt doing assignments (Google what assignments are or just check my other answers) or working as a staff writer if even possible. 

In other words, in order to pitch at some point you need to pursue a screenwriting career. This is an actual job. Just like you wouldn't walk into a courtroom and give the attorneys advice on how to win the case. You would go to a law school and become a lawyer yourself. 

Another reason why those places do not accept unsolicited submissions is because you might claim they stole your idea or parts of it if, for example, they've already been working on a similar project and you file a lawsuit against them. So they wouldn't even read your mail, it'd just get tossed in the trash bin/folder unopened. Besides, if they allowed an open-door policy they would get hundreds of submissions every day, 99.9% of it amateurish and useless. There's not enough time in the world for that. 

To answer your initial question though, in theory, if you sell a script you don't need to be there. Simply because they almost never let you near the set. They don't let you make any decisions, so why would they? Once you sell the script (and do some rewrites based on their notes), you're off the project and go write your next one. With TV, again your question doesn't make sense enough to answer. While movie writers may sell if they don't live in town (it's just a lot harder and they do need to fly back and forth), TV writers live where work is. Either way, being a screenwriter is being part businessperson. You take a lot of meetings, you network, you need to be industry savvy.... To do all of that you need to be there in person. Plus, this entire industry is based on connections, you simply can't do anything serious without some of those. That's how you get jobs and assignments, how you land representation, how you get in rooms... To get connections you need to be where those connections live and work. 

But again, without a good script (aka a key) you can't do anything, period. I strongly recommend that you read some of the answers I've given other people on the subject, just to understand better how this business works. And then, if you want to pursue screenwriting, start learning and working. At the end of the day no one would risk their time (and then their money) on an inexperienced, unprofessional, unrepped random person with nothing but an idea. Would you? And why would anyone want ideas when they can get fully-written (and professional) work? They wouldn't. 

• 4 weeks ago

i would call them up and ask them this question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.