Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to get my 4 year old child NOTHING for Christmas?

I just don’t feel like getting her anything this year. I don’t have any money and need it to pay for my college classes 

It doesn't take much to please a four-year-old for Christmas.  It doesn't have to be anything extravagant.  You can get a simple toy like a doll, a puppet, a ball, a board game--or better yet, take her on a special outing sometime during the Christmas season.  You might even make her something: say, a large gingerbread cookie that looks like her, or a drawing of her, or a brief story with her as the main character, or a poem about how special she is.  You could buy a Christmas children's book, or borrow a few from the library, and spend time reading together.  You could sing her a special song. 

If you need help giftwise, you can call a local charity or newspaper involved in getting a gift for a needy child. 

You could explain to her that you have less money this year and can't afford much, but that you and she will have a good Christmas in other ways. 

Nothing but a massive BEATING ... lol JK don't do it! You better get her something or she's probably gonna hate you. Don't get her too much though.

Sounds okay to me, Christmas is just a pagan holiday anyway

Give her the gift of  telling her the truth about how  pagan Christmas is.

• Ludwig

You should now and again. Otherwise the repeated threat of 'behave or Santa won't bring you any toys' will start to sound like a hollow threat.

• A C

Yes.  That's very mean.  Get a small gift at least.  Skip a couple of meals  yourself if you have to in order to get your child a gift.  You'll be glad you did. 

< I just don’t feel like getting her anything this year >

Trolling, trolling, trolling.

• y

Is the four your old the only one?  If there are others receiving gifts, you can't exclude the kid. If it is just you and the kid, one small gift, doesn't have to be expensive could even be something you made that will mean a lot. You can, have it within your power, to change the meaning from the gift commercial mentality to the giving, the joy, the way to treat others and such mentality. You can only do what you can do, just make the most of it as opposed to worrying about what you couldn't do. Good luck to and continue building for your future.

Whether you should depends upon where you live and your cultural and religious background.

However, the fact that you state that you don't feel like getting her anything suggests that you do not deserve your kid, or his/her love anyway.

• Linda

Give me their address and name and I'll send them something.

• No. However you must wrap an empty box and then lecture him on consumerism.