I dropped my WD Passport 4 TB Hard Drive. It still turns on - gives a few clicks - but won't load. What is the average cost of recovery?

The worst thing happened. It dropped from about 4 feet, slipped right out of my hands and hit the ground. My livelihood is on the drive. Mostly audio software and recording sessions.

When I plug it in, it turns on, and gives about 3 clicks, but then I get the message that the drive can't be loaded. I have not reformatted it or plugged it in more than twice since dropping it, because I have read that that is not a good idea.

I want to send this out or get it locally repaired, but most shops aren't open until Monday (it's currently Saturday morning).

I'm curious, if anyone with expertise in this area, can give me a rough estimate of how much something like this might cost to repair. I only used about 2 of the 4TB of space. What is the success rate in recovering the files / data from a dropped drive?

Thank you.

recovering your data may be quite difficult and expensive ... google for firms and costs ... likely several hundreds usd at minimum. [they have to physically disassemble the thing and inspect for why it isn't working, then try to either replace jammed parts or remove the whole spindle of storage disks and mount in net read mechanism. it is very delicate work, requiring stereo magnifiers and a very precise, steady hand]

• Jake1 month agoReport

Damn. if it's anything over 300 I probably won't do it.  It will be a lot of legwork to get my backup drive fully updated, but it's worth doing instead of spending 500+ bucks.  This has happened to me before I think it cost $150 to get my files back. Maybe I was under a warranty  - I can't remember.

• Greg

Why don't you just use the backup drive that anybody with half a brain would have?

• Jake1 month agoReport

Wow, thanks for this wonderful thoughtful advice.  I have a backup drive I am using, but it's not fully current. 

Depends on how bad the hardware damage is

Data recovery can be very expensive, between $100-1000+

If you take the external drive to a local computer repair store they will be able to give you a quote for the data recovery.

• Sometimes it's necessary for computer repair businesses to send hard drives to other businesses for data recovery, it's not always an easy thing to do.