Why do toddlers become more clingy when mom is sick?

I'm so sick and my normally well behaved toddler is clingy and whining, as I feel so light headed I have to lie down in the living room.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Because to a toddler, their primary caretaker is THE one big certainty in a life full of new, exciting but also unsettling things.

Mum is always there. Mum knows everything. Mum is always in control. Mum is invincible. Mum is... Mum? Mum? Mum, why are you on the floor? Mum, what is wrong? Mum, why aren't you getting up? Mum, is this the end of everything?

My kids are 5 and 7, and by now they understand that if I am ill (which thankfully doesn't happen a lot) it would be kind of them to leave me be if I take a nap on the sofa. But only a few years ago they were all over me, trying to get me to get back up (after about 15 seconds of lying down) to restore the world to its natural - and reassuring - order. 

• 4 weeks ago

This happens more than we think.  Toddlers know mom is acting different than normal and in turn, toddlers are a little scared too.  Even though you're sick, strive to give a half smile and reassure "mommy is ok".  Will he/she watch Sesame street?  Also have a plate or tray with finger foods as another comfort measure.

The joys of motherhood and we'd do it all again!

I was the first mom in the neighborhood that bought the book "Parenting with Love and Logic"...  seriously, these doctors are worth their weight in gold, plus they're funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drh66-WUJCw

Youtube thumbnail

&list=PL4B59DF157975CD9E

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Perhaps your child is getting sick like you.

Any change in routine is difficult for children.That can't be helped.

Get well soon.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Kids feed off parents' emotions plus your child can look at you and tell you are not your normal self so they are scared.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sandy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

it's afraid. it needs your reassurance. 

• 4 weeks ago

When mom isn't there for them the way they are used to, it can create all sorts of behaviors you wouldn't normally see.

Beyond that, its possible that your toddler is also getting sick....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.