Why does everybody ask me if I am a female on Craigslist - Resume/Looking for a Job?

As a sad attempt to get hired, I posted myself as a person who is looking for a part time, full time or temporary job on craigslist. I have received three emails in the last 3 hours and two of those people wanted to know my gender.

The first email just simply asked me if I was still available.

The second email asked if I was a female or a male.

The third one said that if I was serious and I was a female then I had to send a photo and my phone number to him/her and that "we could do this right now I'm up late".

I replied very nicely to the first two people but after that third one, I just snapped. Why the heck does my gender matter? Im a male btw if you're wondering too Yahoo answer people out there. I was going to ignore both the ones that asked my gender but I was very desperate to find me something that could get me money because I want to move out of my mom's house. QUICK. I told the third email "I am very serious, but why does my gender matter and what kind of work are you proposing?". None of these people have replied to me so far. It's 1 I'm the morning where I'm at so I don't expect an email unless they sent one anyways.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

A lot if people use craigslist as a hookup site. Maybe these people think youre offering sexual services

• Steve4 weeks agoReport

So this is the kind of sht that happens when you look for a job, huh? Pathetic..

• Pete L

If a job involved cleaning female toilets I'd imagine a potential employer would insist on you being a female. There are some men who can't get on with members of the opposite sex so they would want to ensure you were a male before going any further.

• Ron75

Not to be racist or anything but if I were hiring anyone off of Craig's List I would certainly want to know their gender. I would want to know if they wee able to do whatever work I had to be done and that is the reason I would ask their gender. Plus Craig's List here doesn't have a very favorable reputation as there are a lot of scams and worse on it.

Ron

•   Hi Ron, Your words "I'd want to know if they were able to do whatever work I had to be done" is what lawsuits are made of these days. HOWEVER - If I were in a potentially dangerous / unstable environment like a rehab facility, I'd need to avoid any triggering of mental issues with clients.

Maybe you posted it in the wrong section. You know that Craigslist has a section for sugar daddies looking for sugar babies or home owners looking for a tenant with benefits (you have sex with him and he lets you live in his house).