Poll: Is taxation theft?

• Bill
    1 week ago
    Best Answer

Yes. Taxation is both theft and legalized extortion. It also functions by involuntary labor. 

• 1 week ago

no.................

• 1 week ago

I think property tax is theft. property tax means the government owns the property

• mokrie
    1 week ago

No. Unless you don't want a fire department to save you if your house catches fire. Or an ambulance to come if your hurt bad. Or roads to ride on. Or a military ready to die to protect you from invaders. Your tax dollars provide services to aid and help citizens.

• Bill
      1 week agoReport

Someone giving you something in return for your money doesn't mean the means in which they took your property was consented to or that the means in which they used was done without violence or threat of violence. 

• 1 week ago

No...............it's the price one pays to live in a civilized society

• 1 week ago

Taxation is theft when the government wastes it on bs rather than the welfare of its citizens like in America

• 1 week ago

Well, technically, no, as a thief generally doesn't then turn around and give you something back with part of the money they just stole from you.

That said, the government doesn't always give money back to the people they took it from. Often times they give a lot of it to other people that have nothing to do with you, and doesn't benefit you at all. And although some people might like where that money got spent, it's not always going to be believed that it was a benefit by other people living in that society, and many of the people in that society may feel the money would have been better spent elsewhere. Or better yet, spent by the people the money was taken from, on the things they would prefer it be spent on.

Before taxes, people still gave lots of money to charities they felt were important and benefited society. Like hospitals and religious organizations who provided social welfare services to poor and such.

For example, I live in California. I would be happy to help pay for supporting the costs of higher education so that students from California can afford to go to a university close to home. Instead, they take our tax dollars, and mostly it goes to pay for retired faculty pensions, and then the colleges here purposefully only accept mostly out of state students, so they can get 4 times the tuition dollars. I did the math and discovered, that I am forced to donate about $100 to the California University systems out of my tax bill each year, but most of my annual taxes allocated to this doesn't go to California students. However, when I donate to my alma mater via private donation, I can say that I want my money to go to the academic scholarship fund. Or to the new science building fund. I don't get to say, I want my $100 to NOT go to faculty pensions fund for my forced California University donation.... So I think it's more about denial of choice, as I believe most libertarians believe in many social programs, but they want to be able to have the ability to choose the programs they want to support.

• Bill
      1 week agoReport

They support private means of helping people as it enables people the ability to decide on their own how they wish to help others. 

• BOOM
    1 week ago

NO - only a willfully ignorant fool thinks that. Taxation without representation could be considered theft but in the US and much of Europe, citizens have a representative government whom they elect to govern and raise money through taxation. How does anyone expect to fund schools, road maintenance, police and fire departments without taxation?

• -j.
    1 week ago

No.  It is how pretty much all societies function.

In the US specifically the government's right to levy income tax is guaranteed by the Constitution.  That makes it legal, which makes it not theft.

• -j.
      1 week agoReport

Exactly.  And an act is not criminal if it is legal.  That's what that means.

• Rick B
    1 week ago

Of course not. .