What is the best security to keep Windows 7 safe?

I am still running Windows 7 Pro on a laptop which is only about 2 years old. I have the free Avast Antivirus installed. After Microsoft ceases to give security patches in a couple of month's time, what is the best way of keeping my computer safe? I love Windows 7 and have no desire to upgrade to 10.

• AAAJ

Kaspersky or 360 total Security

Once the security patches stop, then no AV program will be getting any security patch info either.

.  Windows 7 has now become open to viruses and malware that is continuously written to gain access to your information.

. Win 7 is just as secure as XP(meaning NOT)

There is no way to keep it safe except stop using the internet and stop downloading apps. or programs.

You are FORCED TO GO TO WINDOWS 10.

There is no other choice.Except Linux or Apple. The Windows 7 program is off limits.

My XP computer could take Linux but I don't want to learn it.

Enable Bitlocker and Nortan, avast is best for Window 7.

Microsoft continued (they may yet, just physical too lazy to Google search it at the moment) to retain Windows XP LONG after their subside of liveliness/interruption of maintain date. That bond was conditional even though, and was elongated to the US Military (Navy I take on to), who in reality said We cannot migrate consequently hasty and extremely not going to be cheap in the midst of than we brawl migrate. Heres a pail full of cash and we will keep refilling the pail as desired. Will you retain supporting this once desist middle calls, patches, udpates, etc.

• Enigma

Security updates will stop and that means even for the firewall so replace it with ZoneAlarm's free firewall (don't forget to register it). Your browser will play a big part so stop using any Microsoft browser and replace it with the Brave browser. Add these extensions to Brave: Cookie AutoDelete,and Privacy Badger.

Hiding your pc from strangers and remind them of the gdpr. The law applies to everyone, no exceptions. 

Your Avast antivirus will continue to work. What is important is to keep an antivirus that still works, whether it's officially supporting Win 7 or not. It is a rumor that hackers will quickly attack windows 7 users. They rely on identified flaws and that will cease with win 7 isn't supported. I still have an old XP machine I periodically use and it runs fine. I do keep the freeware Malwarebytes on it.

That's not going to be possible for too much longer. Even with antivirus installed on your computer, support for Windows 7 is still on track to end in January. Security issues will pop up when you use the operating system after the official end of support. That means no more security patches will be available for it at that time. What you need to do instead is to get another computer that runs on Windows versions 8 or 10. 

(Note: Windows 8 will be supported until 2023 at the latest.)

• Jay

malwarebytes is the only program that works. avast, norton, and mcafee are all viruses themselves. windows 7 will always be vulnerable regardless however. you can either have full security, or you can stay on 7.

• Andy C

Norton antivirus.