Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 1 month ago

Is it nice to make suggestions to the conductor of an orchestra on how to conduct a simple beat?

I was playing cello in a semi-professional orchestra the other night. A trumpet player said they didn't understand the music because the Conductor was getting too fancy.

From my vantage point, it was fine and pretty simple actually. I feel they should not be blaming the Conductor for their mistakes. Do you feel it is rude?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

Why should you tell the conductor how to do their job when according to you they're doing it perfectly well anyway?

If the trumpeter is having difficulty he can speak to the conductor himself. YOU should back off: it is none of your business.

• 1 month ago

Whether or not it's rude in any case it's a terrible idea.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What “suggestion” did the trumpet player make?

If he was trying to play in an orchestra but didn't understand what the conductor wanted then saying so was a good idea.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's rude.

The conductor is like the Chief Executive of a company - he gets to decide how to do his own job and does it the way he's learned, over years of experience, is the best way to do it.

It's not up to one member of staff to tell him how to do his job better.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

yepp lolp; there's no need, just tell the guy he needs to get used to his conducting but in a way that doesn't offend.

• 1 month ago

If it is obvious to you it should be obvious to them too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.