torri asked in PetsDogs · 1 week ago

Dog Breeder:Guardianship Program?

Im a dog breeder ( go ahead tell me I am an awful person who deserves to go to hell.I have heard it all before.)

Now my puppies are just about 7 weeks old. My friend was going to take one of the females as a guardianship (she would have the dog but I would be able to breed her at least twice before she would get spayed.) This little female puppy is a sweetheart but more of her colouring is starting to come in and she isn’t going to work as a breeding dog for me. Now my friend who was going to take in this pup was only told last week but I’m telling her on Sunday that this puppy will not work out. Next litter should hopefully have a better one that my friend can be the guardian of. 

I don’t want to hurt her feelings but as a business perspective this female will not work. I can’t see my friend being that attached as she has only seen this puppy three times. 

Would you be upset? I don’t want her to be mad at me. She is more then welcome to buy puppy.

1 week ago

"You're an awful person who deserves to go to H*ll."  I agree with the majority opinion.

I'd spend less time breeding dogs and more time learning English - "Next litter should ... be the guardian OF?"

And here's your opinion, apparently as a self-titled expert, on how to help a depressed dog:  "... If he can walk around go out to the pet store with him or give him special treats."  Is this your version of shoe shopping when you're depressed.

Oh, ask your breeding coach or Vet what you should do about whatever you're whining about.

• 1 week ago

You are an awful person since you are nothing more then a trashy BYBer. Yoru dogs are worthless mutts 

• 1 week ago

Yes, IF I desperately wanted a puppy, I'd be upset, esp if you are a reputable; harder to find breeder with winning dogs and all health clearances.  It depends on how "sold" she was on THIS puppy (she may have bonded w/ it) and was she super ready/excited about getting one NOW.   We have not even covered the idea of guardianship (which is right out of the PETA playbook) rather than simply being a co-owner.

So offer her the deal, to either wait for another litter, or to buy the PET puppy outright.  Issue solved.  You seem to dismiss the idea that even if she took a correctly colored dog from you under these terms - it still MIGHT NOT TURN out - as to HEALTH clearances.  I do hope you write something into your contracts about how you will UNDO the guardianship deal if a supposedly show or breeding quality puppy does NOT turn out, or finish, etc.and/or once the two breedings have occurred.

• 1 week ago

I'm not quite sure I know what a guardianship is - presumably this was intended to be a co-own with your friend?  Well for starters, I'd avoid co-ownership unless you get EVERYTHING down in writing so there can be no misunderstanding at any time down the line.  If you are outside the UK, I do appreciate that very often dogs are co-owned as it means the cost of showing /vet bills/ breeding costs are shared.   And that's another thing - assuming this puppy is going to come up to breeding standard, once mature,  is your friend going to let you take the b itch back to breed her - and then what about the distribution of her puppies when the time comes = MESSY, potentially.

I believe you'd be way more sensible to let your friend have this puppy, fully endorsed so she's not bred from, and paid for.  You can always drop the price if she's only going to be a pet.   Then if you breed the mum again, make your own decision about which of that litter has the most potential as a show/breeding animal, and keep it YOURSELF.

• *****
      1 week agoReport

I believe it's a way to make someone else do all the work of raising and whelping puppies for this person to sell and make money off of, and not at all a co-ownership. I've seen a "breeder" in my area advertising this sort of crap. The "guardian" has NO ownership in the dog. 

• 1 week ago

There's nothing wrong with being a dog breeder if it is done reputably and ethically and the one thing I like is that you are dismissing a future breeding because of a colour fault. 

However,  NO pup can be sold with any certainty of breeding as anything can show up such as hips / elbows or other genetic traits as the pup grows and you and your friend need to be mature enough about this and tbh you don't sound very mature in asking the question (sorry).  

You should never consider breeding as a business either.  Anyone breeding as a business is not ethical / reputable unless you are right at the top of the game and nationally known or even internationally. 

Her choice would be to buy a puppy or wait until the next litter,  or if you value her as a really good home then give her the pup.

I've just been offered another well bred Rottie pup free of charge and not for the first time.  Purely as a 'thankyou' for all I do for the breed in the UK.  

• Anna
      1 week agoReport

Dogs don't need to be bred they should all be spayed or neutered. Not like there's a shortage of them.