would this be a crime?

if I spotted a burglar creeping inside my house during midnight, I shoot him before he had the time to respond to my presence. would I be jailed?

• 1 week ago

Possibly, but it would depend on the exact situtation.

• 1 week ago

There is a pretty good chance of that so maybe.

• 1 week ago

Even in a CLEAR case of self defense, you should expect at least some time in jail while they determine if charges will be filed.

In most of the US, you can legally treat someone breaking into an occupied residence as a threat to the lives of the residents.

• 1 week ago

That always makes such a mess on the carpet, so it is not advised. 

Also, it depends what country you are in, and whether you want that on your conscience. I do not own a gun, but I am in a civilised country with a police force that takes care of things like that. 

I deduce that you are in the US though.

• STEVEN F
      1 week agoReport

DEAD WRONG. By the time police arrive, things like that are ALWAYS over.

• 1 week ago

If you are in any other state except Vermont, then this would be legal and it wouldn't be considered a crime. Most states have a stand your ground law or at the very least they abide by the castle doctrine which allows people to defend their homes against intruders with deadly force is necessary. Vermont doesn't have a stand your ground law and they do not abide by the castle doctrine. The only legal thing somebody can do is run away.

• Nuff Sed
      1 week agoReport

You're wrong about Vermont law.  Any state that does not have a law that SPECIFICALLY requires a victim to flee before using deadly force is, by definition, "stand your ground". You have the right to self-defense wherever you are.

• 1 week ago

It depends on the laws of your state/country/jurisdiction.

• 1 week ago

Yes you would be. He could always say he was drunk and was entering the wrong house by  mistake.

If he shows no sign of being a danger, or doesn't display a weapon, you could not justify shooting.

• 1 week ago

Different states, different laws. Let's say you shoot him in the leg. Hard to argue you feared for your life with a leg shot.

• 1 week ago

Depends on the laws in your state/country.

You can just shoot him in the leg, no need to kill him, less trouble for you.

• STEVEN F
      1 week agoReport

Shooting anywhere but center mass actaully creates MORE problems.

• Jay
    1 week ago

You didn't list the country, but oh yeah, every country on the planet has completely identical laws, right? right, guys??????????