my short term disability finished and i still need surgery.  what other options do i have to collect income?

ive exhausted my short term disability SDI and i still need another surgery within a month or two (waiting on authorizations through insurance) and i dont know what to do....  i need to keep food on the table and pay rent,  what options do i have besides cash aid ?  i live in California,  San Joaquin Co.

6 Answers

  • Flower
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    SDI does not include free medical services. You should apply for Medi-Cal if you have low or no income, or go to a charity clinic or county clinic and get a doctor to refer you for surgery.

  • 4 weeks ago

    There are places that provide free food. Food banks, soup kitchens, etc.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Probably none. That's why you should have an emergency fund.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    If you were foolish enough to not have sufficient emergency savings, then those are the consequences. Get a job, eat beans and rice, and sell what you can to survive.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    If your disability is expected to last more than 1 year, if your employer offers long term disability you may be eligible for that or federal social security disability.

    Other than that, if there are jobs you can hold in your current condition, you should look for one.

    Good luck. 

    • jlion74 weeks agoReport

      yea i was laid off in march so im currently unemployed

  • 4 weeks ago

    long term disability.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.