Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 2 weeks ago

Will local anaesthetic being applied on penis hurt?

Hi all, 

I have a cyst on the edge of my penis glans and my doctor said I can get it removed. He said it will be a quick 2-3 minute procedure however they will need to apply local anaesthetic to my penis, and it will hurt for a 10 seconds or so. 

Im extremely scared of this, more than the procedure!! Has anyone had experience receiving local aneasthetic on their penis, and could you let me know what the pain was like. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Roddy
    Best Answer

If you had your cyst removed without anaesthetic you would feel considerable pain whilst it was being done and might not be able to stand it.

The doctor will numb your penis with a local anaesthetic injected at the base. You will feel the first needle prick like a powerful bee sting, but not the subsequent three or four around the base.

The anaesthetic will last for about 2 hours, so you will not have any discomfort as you travel,home and get settled.

Ignore the comment to get a cannula in your hand as that is ten times as painful to put in and only needed for full sedation, which you will not need nor be given.

it will be better to get an anesthesia through

a canola on the palm of your hand which knocks you out for an hour

this procedure is done for endoscopy

and colonoscopy

It will feel like you got stung by a wasp/bee for a few seconds, then it will be numb.

Just don't watch while it happens and it'll be over before you know it.

If it were me, I'd be anticipating the cyst being gone rather than dwelling on the 10 seconds of discomfort.

• Mark

Ask him to put numbing gel on first before applying the anaesthetic.