Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 week ago

can my parents legally take control of my money when I am older than 18?

they think I am irresponsible. It is money. I have the right to do with as I want with my money. Can they prove incompetence if all my bills are paid and current. What will they need to prove incompetence? If they become the guardians of my money and something happens to them, will I get control of my money again?

If the judge finds me incompetent can I cuss the judge out and my parents in the court room and then plead not guilty due to incompetence

• Foofa
    7 days ago

They'd likely need to get some kind of conservatorship over you by proving you're incapable of managing your own affairs. On the other hand, if you're living with them rent free at that age they could also argue that you need to start paying them rent.

• 1 week ago

No... but if you still live in the nest they can do certain things since they can legally boot you out without notice... unless they've provided a renter contract... which my parents refuse to do.

It can get ugly.

• 1 week ago

Why you think being 18 matters when minority does not end until 21 is beyond me. And if you have been declared incompetent your age matters not. Your guardian controls your money and you have no say in it. 

• Rallo1 week agoReport

@ Ihategrowingup, You are actually a retard. I think you ought to be evaluated. 

1 week ago

THIS proves you need a guardian you are close to insane!

"what happens if I swear at a judge?

I was watching Judge Judy and she called the defendant an idiot. If a judge or anyone insults me, I will use every swear word I know at them. I know swearing at a judge might get me contempt of court but if a judge iinsults me first, is that a good defense?

assuming I am in civil court, not criminal"

• PAMELA
    1 week ago

No, the money is yours and they cannot touch it at all, you are legally an adult and what you do with your money is up to you, so make sure you have a bank account and keep your money safe.If they are keeping it from you get a lawyer and sue them in small claims court to get it back, i am afraid the police will say it is a civil matter, but i would report them anyway, it is theft.

• 1 week ago

If they have a good lawyer they can take it all easily.

1 week ago

Trolling, trolling, trolling.

• 1 week ago

Incompetence is not the same as legally insane. Of course, if you WANT to be committed to psychiatric treatment, you are headed that way.

• 1 week ago

They are talking out their backside.

Now NOTE:

Clearly I don't know your circumstances, but I know myself I so wish I had been more responsible with my spending as a young guy. I suspect they just see you spending and see it as a waste and so wish to correct that. One day when your the adult you will get where they are coming from. You can go to any major city and find thousands of kids who have parents who don't care about them at all, I am sure if you ask them they would be willing to swap life styles with you.

• 1 week ago

There is far more to your story than you are letting on. Why are you in front of a judge?