Is it weird to give your child the same name as a friend?

I really like the name Nathan, and one of my good friends is also named Nathan. I wouldn't be naming my son after Friend Nathan, I just happen to like the name. Would that be weird? My husband was unhelpful so here I am.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Not sure why it's weird. If you like the name you do. And you're free to name your child whatever you like.

• 1 month ago

Nathan is a very common boy name. 

• blank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would not quite say weird but not the best idea.  Even if your husband is not helpful (as stated above) i would still recommend not to use that name.

• Joe
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Of course its a bad idea. How can your husband not wonder why ?   Is it worth the stress it will cause ?  You two should come up with a name together.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It’s not weird at all. Nathan is such a common name. I have 5 friends named Nathan. I personally like Nathaniel too. A great name. And people aren’t going to assume Nathan is the father unless you are closer to Nathan than your own husband 

• GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If your husband does not object to Nathan , go for it. Ideally you should chose a name you both like.  If anyone asks about you choice you can say it's a name you always liked. 

• Marie
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

She already knows it needs to be one her husband likes. That is obvious. 🙄 . It doesn’t even need to be said

• Moya
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe use Nathan/Nathaniel  /Nate as a middle name 

• 1 month ago

It's not something that most husbands would be comfortable with. I'd suggest that you find another name you like.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't think it is. I was flattered when a family friend gave her daughter my first name as her daughter's middle name. It's a sign of affection and love.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some might assume that your friend Nathan is the babies father.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.