I'm thinking of a traumatic experience for my main character during his childhood involving the death of his father, any suggestions?

I was thinking of a scene where they're both on a boat but I'm not sure yet. 

• Linda
    1 week ago
    Best Answer

That his dad got into a fight with his friend and they were both drinking at the time and his friend went to check on his dog and when he came back to talk to your dad he couldn't find him and later it was found he fell overboard and drowned which traumatized the main character's life growing up without his father.

• denise
    1 week ago

Maybe the father and son are on a day boat trip, the son falls in, the father dives in to save him, but in the struggle they get separated, the son manages to scrabble back aboard the boat, but the father is swept away, and sadly, he drowns.

• david
    1 week ago

Death is pretty traumatic.  Or do you mean a specific kind of death?  ==  Traumatic -- Just write about visiting him in the hospital day after day as he withers away from some disease

• humpty
    1 week ago

Accident or murder? If an accident, a following sea where a rogue wave comes from behind and buries the boat. if a murder, a larger ship comes out of the night mist and runs the boat over without ever slowing or stopping.

• Tina
    1 week ago

Write the scene and see how you feel about it.

• Amber
    1 week ago

First I echo what Andrew has said. It's a very common amateur mistake to give a character a huge sob story. They were beaten by their mother, raped by their alcoholic father, their dog peed up their leg and they were exposed to Bingo at 5 years old. It's a bit of an eye roller so just watch out for them. Is this trauma really important to the story? Does it tie into the plot? And you've obviously never lost anyone like a parent because that is traumatic enough.

Secondly, I have no suggestions because the ideas have to come from you. You have to get creative but, like I said, watch out for common amateur mistakes.

Otherwise have fun writing. It wont be easy and when you get stuck, like this, you need to push on through it. You'll get no one giving you ideas.

• Amber
      1 week agoReport

Based on the information you gave I don't buy your characters actions of killing someone else. It would take a lot more for me to consider killing someone than my Father's death. It needs to make sense and seem plausible is what I'm saying. 

• Andrew
    1 week ago

When you say you're "thinking of a traumatic experience" (which is an extremely awkward way of wording it), what that tells me is that you're one of those amateurs who mistakenly believes that inserting a dash of tragedy to your story might somehow win your character points with readers, enliven a very boring story, or distract from the poor quality of your writing. You don't just decide to attach something awful to your character's back-story because you think that might spice things up. He's your character. You created him. To understand who he is, you need to know what experiences shaped him. To understand where he's going you need to know where he's been. Deciding on a whim that he survived an ordeal that his father didn't isn't the way to craft a character. You sound like one of those people who goes out and buys a puppy because you think having him around will really tie the room together. It's your story, so have at it and do whatever you want, but if you allow yourself to get into the habit of putting things into your story that serve no other purpose except to alleviate your own boredom or to try and tug at your readers' heartstrings, the quality of your writing - which I can only infer is already fairly low, is going to take an absolute nosedive. 

• Andrew
      1 week agoReport

These comments are a perfect demonstration of your intelligence, or lack thereof, and maturity level. I'm sure future questions will be taken just as seriously. Good work, Frenchie. 

• 1 week ago

Uh... yeah.... make one character a white teenager and the other an enslaved black man, Jim, who he's helping to escape! And it's on the MIssissippi River! And then they meet these guys who call themselves the Duke and the Dauphin! And then....