My laptop will remain unused for 3 weeks. Will it anyway harm it?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

negatory, if you secure it somehow

• 1 month ago

No it should be ok just make you turn it off

don't want to drain the battery

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Shut it off (closing the lid may just hibernate it)  THEN close the lid and unplug the power cord.  If you've got a wireless mouse, turn that off with its switch and turn it over so that when you get back, you'll remember to turn it back on when you get back. 

• 1 month ago

Nope, but charge the battery overnight before use after such long terms on the shelf.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Store it in a good place it will be fine.

• 1 month ago

No problem. But you should keep it in a safe place

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think it will be fine.

• 1 month ago

No.  Just charge it up, shut it down, power it off and leave it completely disconnected somewhere at room temperature. Be prepared, when you return, to recharge it fully and for it to spend some time dealing with any updates it my have missed. 

That is, after all, exactly what happens to laptops once the factory has sent them out. They sit, unused, on some storage shelf somewhere for weeks or months until someone buys them.

• 1 month ago

No you might need to defrag when booting it up

• ron h
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You won't need to defrag if you take a shower before you turn it back on.   (Jeez)  Defrag?

• 1 month ago

No. Not using a computer for a period of time will not hurt it. If the laptop is left unplugged, the battery may drain and you may have to plug it in and use it on the power cord for a bit until it recharges (couple hours). But it will do no other harm to a laptop not to use it for several days.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.