Ayumu asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

What do you think about Japanese culture?

I am Japanese. I want to know what foreigners think about Japanese culture. 

Yes! Despite all the protestations you hear from Big Tech, there is a simple privacy law that makes sense without destroying the tech industry. Let me explain, but first, for context if you’re unfamiliar, you should know that DuckDuckGo (my company) has a vision to raise the standard of trust online and so this topic is near and dear to our hearts. We’re vehemently opposed to tracking users and are the leading provider of privacy protection tools, including a private search engine alternative to Google (DuckDuckGo Private Search), a private mobile web browser alternative to Chrome (DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for iOS/Android), and a plugin that makes your desktop searching and browsing more private (DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials for Safari/Firefox/Chrome).

As you probably know, many countries are right now taking up the greatly needed task of updating their privacy laws for this modern era. However, they are consistently missing one key component when doing so: an easy opt-out mechanism. Anyone who ever has been to a European website in the past year will know what I’m talking about. While Europe’s GDPR law does a lot of great things, it also has created pop-up hell, much like the cookie law that preceded it.

I think most foreigners have a great respect for Japanese culture. In the eyes of foreigners, Japanese are very polite, law-abiding, discipline, and always courteous. On the internet, you can often find foreigners saying good things about Japan. 

I like how perfectionist and neat they are. When they do something, they always want to deliver the best result as possible. Their service is so excellent that sometimes it makes me shy. Japanese products are famously known for being reliable and durable. In USA, Japanese cars are more popular than American cars.  "Made in Japan" is usually perceived as a good thing by foreigners. There are non-Japanese companies that name their brands with Japanese name to attract customers like Miyako and Miniso. 

Very long history. Some amazing arts and displays of beauty. Lived there for well over a decade, and traveling back & forth for 40 years.

Love it ...would like to live there ...

I loved their food

I have limited exposure to it. I have read the book Shogun by James Clavell and seen movies like The Last Samari. I also watch a guy that has a channel on Youtube about fishing. I think the culture, for the most part, is very refined and from man on the street style interviews, I have seen it seems that Japanese people are very well educated and informed about world events. 

• mokrie

A lot that we should copy but also a little that seems too strict. Mostly to be admired.

I love it all, except for the food.