Myra asked in PetsDogs · 2 weeks ago

Comforting Tips When Giving Up Your Pets?

Hello everyone, I am going to have to give my two dogs to a shelter in a few days... Do you guys have any tips or tricks to comfort me and make me not as sad? Thank you for answering in advance 🙂

1 week ago

As said, I don't give a **** about your comfort. Those poor dogs are stuck in a shelter and may get put down.

1 week ago

You had problems with dog #1.  You adopted dog #2 6 months ago.  You had problems with dog #2.  Now you are "going to have to" surrender both dogs to a shelter.

If they are the 2 out of every 20 that find homes, you can be happy that they are in good, happy homes.  If they are the 18 out of 20 that are euthanized, you can know they aren't being mistreated.  No kill shelter?  Read the paperwork - if the dog is DEEMED (by the personnel) to be aggressive, then it's euthanized.  Too many dogs in the shelter?  Find out how many then are deemed "aggressive."

Tips or tricks to comfort you?  No.  I think you're despicable.  I have no tips and tricks to keep you from being "as sad."  My sadness is for your throw away pets.

I have no sympathy.

• Maxi
    1 week ago

No..........the only thing I will say is that giving up your dogs because of a dramatic change of  circumstances demands it meaning you simply can't afford to care, feed or house them... it is your issue and not your dogs fault and they are better off with a shelter who can find them a new home who can care, feed, home them.

Many people who have answered are also keen to  condemn owners who can't afford to properly care for their pets and the same people tell them to give them up.but you have not said why and that does make a difference.

• 1 week ago

Tbh I don't really give a toss about your feelings.  It is the poor dogs that I am more worried about. 

Your reasons might be genuine but everyone should always make plans for who would have their animals should something happen for it to become necessary for them to be rehomed.  I guess my answer seems harsh but you give no explanation as to why you need to give them up and you seem far more concerned about your own feelings than what will happen to them.  

Getting from a good breeder helps as they will take back and rehome from there.  

• 1 week ago

I know, only too well, that sometimes stuff happens which means you are faced with something like this.  However, and believe me, we've had hard times, I'd never give mine up, especially to a Shelter.  Mine have always been purebreds so even if up until now, mine have always been home-breds, so no breeder to return them to, I'd much prefer to use the relevant Welfare/Rescue attached to my breed.   They'd never have gone to a Shelter.**    All too often being in kennels might bring out the worst in any dog, meaning that rather than being rehomed, they'd probably have been put down and had that been needed, I'd have FAR RATHER have had that done with ME there, not in the hands of strangers.   For me, it's not about me, but about my hounds and how they might be through something like this - losing  me and their home.

So if you have 'a breed' contact the breeder.   As a retired one, I'd want to be involved in ANY rehoming or take them back to live out their days with me.  If worst comes to worst and there is no breeder (and of they are not purebred, no Rescue organisation either), can't YOU advertise them (on your vet's notice board?) or approach a relative to take them even, foster them until you have your life sorted out?

I hope that even now, you can avoid having to give them up - but please concentrate on how YOUR DOGS might feel through all of this, not youself.

**  In fact my instructions specifically state that NONE of my hounds is to be taken to a Shelter!!

Add -   I find it totally AMAZING that my answer has attracted 1 TD, let alone two.  What's the problem with my answer???????????????????????????????

• Jojo
    1 week ago

Knowing just WHY you have to give up your dogs would help in giving you any help.

Also how long you have owned these dogs and what breed they are and their ages.

• Verulam
      1 week agoReport

Knowing their ages would be relevant as older dogs would find it harder to accept going to a new home and if they have always been together, that's a consideration too - it would be heartbreaking for them to be separated if they'd been together for years.

• patty
    1 week ago

whose gonna console your dogs

Why do you "have" to give them up? Pets are a lifetime commitment so you SHOULDN'T be giving them up.

I think you would feel much better if you rehomed them to a family. Place a free ad on CraigsList. If someone can take one or both at least you'll know that they aren't going to a shelter environment.

• Verulam
      1 week agoReport

I'd be very wary re advertising on somewhere like Craigslist.   You won't know where they are going - and many use this as a mean to source dogs for use as fighting bait.

Nope. You’ve just sent your pets to their death if they don’t get adopted. What’s there to say to make you feel better since you’ll be sending your dogs to their graves.