Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

How long do indoor cats usually live? ?

Well I have a healthy 2 year old black and orange cat named Luna and she is like my best buddy and I wonder how long she lives because I will be sad if she passes away because I lost my month old kitten and Im scared If I lose another cat. Please no rude answers!

I have never abused my kitten we legit saved her because some asswipe left her in a box and she was only 4 days old. My mom saved her by bottle feeding her and she only lasted a month. I will never abuse any animals ever.

Favorite Answer

i would ask your vet this question, hopefully she will live a long time

• Morgan4 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much she just turned 2 this halloween and she is healthy and she even goes to bed with me and comes to me when Im crying. 

Mine are healthy stray now indoor. My oldest was 19 years old. Kept healthy and a good way to monitor their health is their feces and pee spots. They way I found out one of mine had a kidney infection! Health cats properly taken care of can like for years! Be sure to find the proper food for them! Found him at 1 lb a few months old look at him now. If they ever start to loose weight, and their appetite always be aware of something called FIP it cant be diagnosed usually until too late. We just lost 2 to that

• patty

outdoor cats live an average of 3 years

• sdc_99

My first childhood cat, who spend most of her life outdoors, lived to be 19.  I had a college friend whose cat was 23.  That said, they typically live about 15 years, but can go longer.

• sdc_99
      4 weeks agoReport

On a sadder note, I had one die unexpectedly at 3 from an undiagnosed heart condition

The typical life span of an indoor cat, well cared for, can be around 15 years. Some cats live much longer than that, and a lucky few make it into the upper 20's or even in rare cases to over 30 years old. But the AVERAGE is around 15 years. We said goodbye to our lovely girl Skye this summer when she was over 17 years old and passed away of natural causes. She had just had her twice-yearly senior wellness visit a week prior, and was in very good health when she passed away, so it was just her time to go. We have had several cats live to 13 and 14 years old, and these cats were diagnosed with cancer, and one had a breed-linked kidney condition. So, they would have probably lived a few years longer if not for that. So, barring any kind of genetic illness or serious illness such as cancer, heart disease, kidney disease or accident... 15 years or even longer is likely for a healthy indoor cat. Do make sure to keep up to date with proper vaccines and annual check-ups with blood work, very important to spot early signs of health problems that can be managed-- especially as your cat becomes a senior.

Why did you have a kitten that was only a month old?

Your cat may live 12-20 years if you keep it indoors, feed it a quality grain free food and take it to the vet annually and whenever sick or injured. But genetics, health as a kitten, etc play into that as well. Plus cats just get cancer - at 2 years, at 20 years, whenever.

If you were irresponsible enough to take a kitten away from its mother at only a month old I don't see much hope for this cat living very long.

• Morgan4 weeks agoReport

So I should just a leave a kitten inside of a box that a stranger left **** you

Outdoor cats have an average life expectancy of about 2 years.

Indoor cats have an average life expectancy of about 16 years.

It is not remarkable for a cat to reach age 20 and I have known 1 cat (my aunt's) that reached 32. When this cat died they also had a "younger" cat who was 27 and their "kitten" was 21.

I would say the same as outdoor cats. Nature happens randomly but you dont have to worry about it as long as you are taking care of your pets it is not your fault.

She might make it to three but you’ll probably kill it like your last cat. Cats are not toys for you to mistreat.

• Morgan4 weeks agoReport

Excuse me but i didnt kill her we legit saved her because some asshole left her in a box and I will never kill my friend. The kitten that we saved died of natural causes. I am not a animal abuser f off! 

With proper care your cat should be around a long time. Over the years we've had a domestic longhair who lived 14 years and a domestic shorthair who was in our family for 16 years. Both cats were indoor cats. One of our close friends lost her indoor cat last year. It was 21 years old.

• Morgan4 weeks agoReport

Well to be honest I would put down my cat if it was in great pain because I dont her to suffer. But thanks for the answer!