Is this an acceptable teacher?

I'm currently a senior at a popular university in Pennsylvania. One of the classes I'm enrolled in is an online course. All of the information for the class comes from a textbook that the teacher authored himself. We are supposed to learn by reading a convoluted textbook on our own without any guidance whatsoever from the teacher. There are no other online tools to use to get information - just the textbook. If I'm paying good money for this required course, what is the point of it existing if I can just buy the textbook and read it on my own accord?

Also do I have a case that I can bring to university higher-ups?

Favorite Answer

There are two issues- many universities have guidelines about faculty using materials that they make money on. Then most have an office that works with faculty on preparing well-designed online courses. Look and see if such a thing exists at your university. I think you have a good case to take to the department chair. Discuss the conflict of interests in having the faculty member's own book as a require purchase, and show that there are not other materials being used in the course. I know that faculty at my university would not get away with that. 

If you're at Penn State, go talk to Jennifer Wagner-Lawlor in the English Department. 

You are a prick. Reported!

No. You do not have a case. Unless you plan to open a University that gets accredited. . . they are still better than just teaching yourself from a textbook.

I had many classes where I read straight out of the textbook and took notes

on what I read.

But presumably you have to write essays too? THAT is the teaching.

• Christian1 month agoReport

Nope. Just 4 exams and a textbook. No other grades or guidance

You are in the class because you need the credit for it, right? To get that, you need to finish the course with passing grades. If the instructor uses their own book as the text, all that helps is you can time-shift. So read the book and pass the class.

• martin

On line learning is making education look cheap and worthless.

You have to pay to write the tests but yes I would respectfully ask for another teachers opinion on the matter of your school. This does seem like a professional problem with in the class. So take it to someone who you respect .

i dont think so

• ?

Online courses are not for everyone; they do require additional effort from the student.

You haven't supplied enough information. Does the professor have office hours? Are there any teaching assistants that can help explain the material? Are you diligently keeping up with the coursework? Are you handing in your assignments on time?? Again, you haven't supplied enough information.

Yes, you can go to the university higer-ups, but keep in mind that doing so during the semester may impact your grade. If that's ok with you, then you have nothing to lose.

Complaints are always handled, though not necessarily to the satisfaction of the student.

• Christian1 month agoReport

From the syllabus: "Any questions sent after twelve noon on Thursday will be considered for Friday of the following week. If a face-to-face discussion is needed, Zoom can be used with making an appointment in advance." There are ZERO assignments. The only grades for the course are 4 exams.

Life is not fair. You have to do what you are told.